2018 CLARITY UOA

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Clarity_Newbie, Mar 6, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

As promised...Used oil analysis

Oil change Sept 2020 at 22,600 miles (UOA)
    - Purolator PBL14610 oil filter on
    - Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 0w-20 in

Oil change July 2021 28,600 miles (UOA)
    - Valvoline EP full synthetic 0w-20 in

Oil change Aug 2022 37,400 miles
    - Valvoline EP full synthetic 0w-20

Oil change Aug 2023 46,500 miles(UOA)
    - Purolator Boss off/NAPA Platinum oil filter 47356 on
    - Valvoline EP full synthetic 0w-20
    ***Mileage on the report indocates 9000...I forgot to reduce for EV vs ICE when sent to Blackstone...ICE miles = 3,300

Purolator Boss filter could have gone another round easily based on examination after cutting open filter.

NAPA Platinum bought on sale as a stop gap until I purchased Fram Endurance 7317 25k oil filter last month. Will put on when weather warms...probably at next OCI

Driving habits: Speed limit, run Clarity in HV mode at least twice a week, ~35% miles are on ICE, EV range ~44 miles on any given day (running all weather tires Michelin CC2)

Given my driving habits it should be no surprise both the oil and extended use full synthetic filter work well.

My next OCI...the plan is to go to 2 year change intervals (2 yr based on past UOA results and considering actual ICE use at ~35%) Science is a wonderful thing.

Hope this helps and have a good day!

Regards

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    MrFixit and Robert_Alabama like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It wouldn’t be surprising if the factory recommended filter produced similar results. One year intervals and 3300 miles on the engine certainly can’t be considered to be demanding conditions.

Now we need an analysis with the OEM filter under the same conditions to see if the difference amounts to a hill of beans.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Not exactly sure what is most important with this sort of analysis. I guess all seems 'nominal'.

The only thing that stands out to my novice eye is the 'Fuel %'.
    It is good (< 0.5%) but in the past 3 tests, it was not so good (out of spec on 2 of the three).
    Do you have a thought as to why the 'Fuel %' would suddenly improve this time (or why it was 'bad' before)?

The text states that this is a 'welcome improvement', but it would be nice to know what is going on.

5. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

@MrFixit

No idea really. That'd be hard to pin point without a lot more tools n machines than what I have...lol

Same miles n driving patterns n driver for that matter. I have used top tier 92 octane almost exclusively for 5 years.

The text from Blackstone is based on 9k miles since I indicated I forgot to account for the ev miles...miles on ICE was ~3300. That invalidates any Blackstone comments unfortunately. Numbers still valid though

I ran three years/oci on one filter with UOA as my baseline and to some degree for my comfort level...

...It'll be two years before I post up the results of the oci with fram endurance. If you're still on the forum and I still have the car...the numbers will be interesting to see.

Hope this helps. Have a good day.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024