New Generation Kona EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Dec 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I drove through my first intense snow storm and unfortunately can report a fair bit of snow infiltration into the charging compartment. The door fits so closely I had assumed it wasn't likely but I was wrong.

I used the snow setting as well. It limits regen to level one and seems to limit the acceleration curve too.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Was the port heater activated? Hopefully there is a drain.
    Snow mode as described on the Ioniq 5 works similar so I have read.

4. The snow was dry and fine and unmelted inside the housing. There was no sign of any melting.

5. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Not too thread hijack
    But I really am impressed with the snow mode on my new i6 AWD even with the AS tires in deep snow.

Wildeyed likes this.
  6. Has anyone used their trickle charger on a 240v outlet? Wildeyed, I don't recall but do you have to have the rear defroster on in order for the heat in the charge port door to work? (speaking of the trickle charger that came with the 2024)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yes you do have to have it on but I didn't. I had no need of it. But I was pointing out the infiltration of snow into the compartment not the port actually freezing shut.

Sirlorne likes this.
  9. So once again my car has charged to the 80% set point and declined over a couple days to 74% and then it just sits there despite having a charging schedule set for every evening. In fact I watched it tonight turn itself on automatically at the 7:30pm start time, blink its charging indicator light for about 15 minutes and then shut off. The 74% never increased to 80% even after the charging cycle.

10. The head unit in my '24 wasn't working this morning. I stopped and restarted three times over 45 minutes of driving all with the touchscreen blank and the head unit dead. On a subsequent restart the screen booted normally and stayed on afterward with normal functionality

I stopped in at the dealer just to report the issue and have it noted in case it reoccurs or if Hyundai creates a service bulletin about the issue.

11. Okay. Now the car doesn't even reach its 80% setpoint upon recharging after a drive. Last night it stopped at 78%. :(

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

To owners of the new Kona, what's your energy consumption? This article lists the 2024 Kona at 3.4 mi/kWh. In my 2020 Kona I averaged 4.6 when I lived in San Francisco and 5.1 in the 2 years I've been in Hawaii. It looks like the EPA rated my car at 3.7, so even based on official numbers, this seems like a pretty unfortunate drop in efficiency. What are folks getting in the real world?

14. What with the winter weather I've been reluctant to judge the efficiency yet but from my limited experience so far I have an inkling that it's lower than my '19. The GOM seems similar but I feel like the highway efficiency may be lower. I'm withholding judgement until I get a summer month under my belt.

15. Hyundai has always been somewhat "gun shy" when it comes to listing actual efficiency.
    A cautious approach that usually winds up being a pleasant surprise for EV owners in the real world.

Wildeyed likes this.
  16. It's a bigger, heavier, less aerodynamic vehicle, so it is definitely going to be less efficient than the first-gen Kona EVs. But in my experience last summer, it wasn't that big of a delta. It's still going to be a lot more efficient than, say, an Ioniq 5.

17. But the EPA range estimate is slightly MORE than the old model. It's not unreasonable to assume that engineering changes would compensate for a chunkier car.

18. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to hear people's real-world range and efficiency numbers. A lot of folks on here seem to regularly beat the EPA range estimates with the old model. I beat them by a lot, driving in near-perfect conditions: No temperatures below 60F, very little driving over 50 MPH and almost none over 60 (living in a place with no freeways does that, lol). I've gotten really used to having 320+ miles of range, even though I rarely make use of it. And I love that my "fueling" costs are WAY less than an ICE car.

19. Has anyone got any BM2 graphs showing the 12V charging behavior of the new Kona?

JoeS and Kirk like this.
  20. If there are other 2024 owners out there I'd love to know if you are also experiencing weird charging behaviour where the car fails to hit charging benchmarks? My 80% charge often stops at 78 or 76% or charges to 80% but drifts downward over a day or two without topping itself off even though it's always plugged in and has scheduled charging set for nightly top-ups.
    I know that asking my dealership about it is pretty pointless. Is there any contact at Hyundai that can answer technical questions?

21. Just curious does it present the same symptoms when charging full to 100% or at a lower level say 50%?

22. I charge to 100% maybe once for every 30 times I charge to 80% so the sample size is small but, no, I haven't noticed it stopping at 99 or 98%. And I never charge to less than 80%.

electriceddy likes this.
  23. Fair enough, just trying to find out if the error is the same when charging to less SOC. Maybe try 70% and see if symptoms are the same. Might just be a bug ~ 80%

Wildeyed likes this.