Rear wiper blade replacement

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by LittleWoods, Feb 26, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. LittleWoods

LittleWoods Active Member

Hey all,

I feel dumb having to make a thread about this, but I'm losing my mind trying to replace the rear wiper blade in my '23 SE. The manual is completely worthless with a garbage picture and instructions that make no sense. I can't seem to find any videos online, either. should be a 30 second process, and the fronts were a piece of cake. What am I missing?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

It's a plastic compression snap-in so you have to flip the rear wiper arm up and then gently wiggle downwards (pushing downward towards the floor).

4. LittleWoods

I've tried doing what you describe, but no amount of wiggling or pushing loosens the wiper. I'm very concerned with breaking something at this point. Here are a couple pictures if it helps to make sure we're taking about the same thing. IMG_0285.jpeg IMG_0282.jpeg IMG_0278.jpeg

5. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

When I had my two-year service done, I requested that the dealer install new wipers front and rear. Conventional wisdom says that wipers should be replaced yearly. Having it done saved me the effort of finding the correct blades and the work. Your problem confirms my decision. If I recall correctly, it cost $45. Even though I consider myself to be "frugal", that price seemed worth it.

SameGuy likes this.
  6. teslarati97

I'm just really bad at writing instructions. I've popped it out twice using my hands, and with a plastic removal tool as the second method. Tool is easier because you can pry off one side at a time. Pry where the square outlines (on wiper blade) are located for better leverage.

If you don't need the wiper blade you could just use a metal slot screwdriver to remove the wiper blade. The wiper is symmetrical and it snaps back in!

wiper.jpg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. LittleWoods

Got it, thanks! Just needed to see it removed to be confident I was doing the right thing.

teslarati97 likes this.
  9. LittleWoods

Well, hit another snag - the Bosch wiper that was supposed to work doesn't. The type of adapter on the original blade is completely different than everything I'm seeing online, too, including MINI's own website. Ugh...

Edit:

Well, wish I had found this post earlier, it shows that the 2022/2023 models have different wiper arms. Probably explains why the manual makes no sense, it wasn't updated. Anyway, for reference in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar boat:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014/367089-2023-f56-rear-wiper-blade-replacement.html

And this is what I need:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mini-parts/wiper-blade-rear/61615a404f6/

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

From the ECS Tuning post @LittleWoods linked on North American Motoring:
    I hope Mr. ECS Tuning meant "pre 2022" instead of "pre 2021" or there is no rear wiper for my 2021 SE!

11. teslarati97

Mr. ECS Tuning meant your 2021 SE is destined for a rear wiper delete. @LittleWoods is one of the few members with a SE and Ioniq 5, and can attest the merits of the lack of a functional rear wiper.

insightman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

LOL! So now in addition to range anxiety I have to fear the back-door wiper repo man (or woman)?

MichaelC and teslarati97 like this.
  14. teslarati97

I'm afraid so...

15. LittleWoods

Let me tell you how much I love cleaning that rear window on the HI5 every week! :D

16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Considering the price of the Ioniq 5 I can't believe it doesn't have a rear wiper.

teslarati97 likes this.
  17. teslarati97

wipertag.gif

Rexsio, Puppethead and beerhecht like this.
  18. insightman

Of course, on the highest-price Ioniq 5 N, you DO get a rear wiper, totally invalidating Hyundai's claim a rear wiper makes no sense due to the I5's superior aerodynamics.

19. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Rear windshield protection for Hyundai I EV IMG_1369.jpeg

insightman likes this.