Infotainment Unit - Ideas?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Arctiic, Feb 21, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. So I've really gone and screwed myself over this time. I had a minor accident and had taken my Clarity in to a body shop for some minor cosmetic repairs. Unfortunately, they apparently (at some point in the repair process) disconnected the battery long enough to trigger the infotainment's anti-theft power loss state. Even more unfortunately, my infotainment center — previously damaged in an unrelated incident — does not have a working touch digitizer, meaning my on-screen touch buttons are not functional, which made it exceedingly difficult to find a way to bypass the anti-theft screen, as the only way to do so was to use the non-functioning Audio power key. And lastly, and most unfortunately, in my quest to find a method to programmatically send the equivalent
    Code:
    keycode
    /
    Code:
    sendevent
    , I unwittingly thought to wipe the unit's
    Code:
    data
    partition in the hopes that it would reset the anti-theft feature's active state; however, not only did it fail to do so, I inadvertantly wiped my network configuration off the headunit...which also meant losing my wireless ADB authorization. And without access to the touch screen and nor ADB to send any additional inputs, I've basically gone and tossed out my only method of accessing the headunit at all now. I've done derped myself good!

So I'm now back to sqare one (minus one). Any ideas what I should do? Besides biting the bullet and replacing the head unit altogether, that is? I'm already subscribed to most of the local yards so as soon as a Clarity gets junked around here, I'll jump on its carcass. Until then, I'm considering an aftermarket unit or something, but not sure if there'll be any unanticipated problems with that?

Approaching from the other angle, is there perhaps any way I can still bypass the anti-theft mode? I had pretty much scoured and read through all of the unit's .kl / input device / keymaps / etc file contents and tried all of the keyevent codes I was able to find. The problem was I wasn't able to get it to work in deactivating the anti-theft mode, whether because the
    Code:
    power
    key event was some other non-standard input that differed from
    Code:
    keyevent 26
    , or because I was unable to successfully emulate a longpress
    Code:
    sendevent
    correctly for the system to accept it (and being pre-Kitkat, the
    Code:
    input
    function does not yet include the
    Code:
    --longpress
    argument.

Side notes: interestingly enough, I've found several system activities are able to bypass the anti-theft block and supercede focus on the screen. These include, but likely aren't limited to: the climate control module UI, the lane-watch module camera UI, and the contacts application UI (I can't recall if this was invoked by the standard
    Code:
    keyevent 207
    or if there was a custom keyevent code off the top of my head). Unfortunately, it seems the former bypass method of accessing the system settings UI by first activating these screens appear to be patched out now (except for the Contacts UI as I did not think to test that at the time, and now no longer have the capability to do so).

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

@Arctiic ,
    Over the years, it has been obvious that you are the ONLY one who has the level of knowledge here to delve into the depths of the OS and even begin to do anything at this level. As such I would surmise that it is hopeless for you to ask for this kind of advice here. If you can't solve it, then it probably can't be solved !!

If I were you, I would seek a replacement head unit. It has been demonstrated that a head unit from a Touring can work on a Base and vice-versa.

You mentioned looking for a Clarity in local yards... Good luck with that. I would go to eBay. There are a number currently listed ranging from around $200 to $450. There are even a couple of units listed as 'defective' for less than $100 and with your skills you could attempt to work with a defective one. At first, I didn't see them, but I found that searching for "Honda Clarity" Display worked best.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    Arctiic and insightman like this.
  4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

@Artic ,
    Any update on how this turned out?