Next generation (J01) MINI Cooper revealed

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fishbert, Sep 1, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. turbofuzzy

turbofuzzy New Member

"Factory" seemed like an odd translation until I thought about it a bit more and realized it actually translates fairly well. Some manufacturers have factory racing teams and/or products — which is just another way of saying "works team"
    https://www.ridefox.com/careers.php
    https://www.ktm.com/en-us/ktm-world/news/ktm-factory-editions.html
    https://www.polaris.com/en-us/off-road/community/rzr-life/factory-racing/
    https://www.associatedelectrics.com/teamassociated/cars_and_trucks/RC10B4.1/Factory_Team/

insightman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Frank Jenkins

Frank Jenkins New Member

Excited

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Part of the attempt to make the just-revealed F66 gas-powered MINI Cooper S look like the electric MINI Cooper SE J01 was to eliminate the fake hood scoop! Unfortunately, the "power bump," which I like, is also gone. As with the J01, MINI moved the windshield-washer jets off the hood.

With all the proportions and angles the same as the F56, the clamshell hood, and the wheel-well surrounds, the F66 still looks a lot more like an F56 than a J01. The biggest external difference between the F56 and F66 are the tail-lights. The F66's interior, of course, is very different from the F56 (no comment).

upload_2024-2-6_18-37-6.png

MichaelC likes this.
  5. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

No vents no bulges no side scuttles. Keeps the plastic fenders though.

I keep seeing the the wheels are wider but I can't see how if it's the same platform.

No M/T stinks, nothing here to get me out of my F56SE. I'll hold out for the J01 I guess.

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Is it just lighting, or is there a subtle power bump?

upload_2024-2-6_21-51-25.png

I dislike having the power bump on the SE because it's an anachronism, but for the F66 with its petrol engine it seems appropriate. Removing the jets seems to make the front seem so plain. Maybe bonnet stripes will help.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that it is a groove/depression rather than a bump?

insightman likes this.
  9. Puppethead

Maybe it's a matter of perspective, then. I'd say groves on the edges would be the same as a power bump across most of the hood ;). I guess seeing it in real life is the only way to evaluate the feature.

MichaelC and insightman like this.
  10. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Good view on this YouTube. There's a depression between the fender and the rest of the bonnet.

11. Puppethead

Good video, but to my eye I'd call that a power bump. Overall I think the F66 isn't too bad of an update, although I don't know about some of the seat changes, like the adjustment handles.

On the J01 tour by Out of Spec Reviews I think the "power bump" is even more noticeable since the hood is not a clamshell. So boo. (I can't believe the video doesn't open the hood!)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SW19

SW19 New Member

Seems to look better roaming around city streets in this video but the triangular shape of the taillights looks terrible.They need to change those when they do the LCI.

14. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

That F66 ICE MINI is just a CG-edited J01 for that video. The blue J01 is the real vehicle and you can see the poor masking job on the video edit. Some lazy editing shows part of the blue J01 as an outline by the heel of the person.

I can't believe AI didn't even render the reflection of the foot on the bodywork.

j01a.jpg j01b.jpg

SW19 likes this.
  15. SW19

SW19 New Member

So its just a fake digital image driving on the streets?

16. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Electric J01 driving in Los Angeles for filming was real with CG markers (rendered in post). F66 is fake Forza Motorsport.

J01_MINI_Cooper_electric-2818123840.jpg

SW19 likes this.
  17. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

IMG_1085.jpeg
    Those wheels looks like Chopsticks on a plate without any arrangement only the 2020-2024 looks like real Mini Cooper from old nostalgia of Mini brand IMG_1327.jpeg IMG_1328.jpeg IMG_1329.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    SW19 likes this.
  18. CuriousGeorge

19. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

20. pcfarrar

pcfarrar New Member

CuriousGeorge likes this.
  21. CuriousGeorge

22. SW19

SW19 New Member

The current Mini Cooper really is the perfect design.British Racing Green for the win.We are very happy with ours.

IMG_2952.jpeg

insightman likes this.
  23. vader

vader Well-Known Member

I agree. The F56 captures more than 1/2 a century of MINI. Yes, it is bigger, heavier, more modern, but it still has the soul of a MINI. I actually love the scoop and bonnet bulge. It was the sign from yesteryear of a supercharged engine, which screamed performance. It is a cue to the driving dynamics of the car. Maybe a case of wolf in sabre tooth clothes, but fun nonetheless.

The j01 is, I consider, a facsimile, or a copy of you like of the original. Similar outside, but completely different otherwise. You can of course argue that when rover brought out the new MINI, it was the same. You could also argue that it deviated from the original more than the j01 from the F56. The difference is that it still had the same vibe as the original. I bought a MINI one back in the day and it reminded me of my 78 Clubman.

I think, for me, there is no one thing that I "hate" about the j01, but all the little tweaks add up. It is now just another small EV that follows the rest, but tries to look like the original.

I truly hope I am wrong, and would be thrilled to fall in love with the j01. For now, I can't see it happening though. There, I feel better now :)

insightman likes this.