Consensus for jacking up all four wheels?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SameGuy, Oct 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Is the Mini set up like every other modern BMW with a jack point under the front subframe and a jack point in the center rear? Those are what I use on my 1er, leaving the jack points free for the jack stands. Also, dont worry so much about the jack points. The plastic piece is readily available on line, and probably a buck each at a pick and pull since 99.44% are only used by shops.

https://www.amazon.com/AUTOPA-51718268885-Under-Support-Jack/dp/B071NZ75DS?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A2MIOKJ0DJYQIH

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Yes, but all covered up by the felt belly pans. PITA. As for the plastic Jack points, the QuickJack didn’t mash them so I think they’ll last just using the flat blocks. The problem with using pucks in them with the QuickJack is the relative slickness of the differing PU or rubber compounds, so any slight jerking or unevenness in the lift could lead to… a lurid moment or six (ask me how I know). Aluminum pucks might be better, but after just going flat, I’ll keep doing that until I decide to replace the mashed jack points.

5. SameGuy

YUL
    99¢ hockey pucks work great until they don’t. I’ve split a few over the years.

6. SameGuy

YUL
    …and watching the video… yeah, as I’ve said before: time is money. That’s a lot of work to save $50.

teslarati97 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. teslarati97

I agree it's a lot of work and better to get the real parts...just because you can, doesn't mean you should. ;)

SameGuy likes this.
  9. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

My kid is a skater. She knows to snag loose beat up pucks for me.

SameGuy and Rogwp like this.
  10. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

I use the factory jack points if doing one wheel. They are replaceable and will take some abuse. I jacked up the whole backend recently. No visible centre point and I didn't want to pull panels to find one. I ended up jacking around a a bolt attaching battery pack to subframe part way along bottom radius arm. Worked fine. There is a sturdy piece of subframe under the battery pack flange. Once high enough, concrete blocks topped with wood under the proper jack points.
    I like those bridge style axle stands, maybe I should make a set.

11. I was doing some work on mine today and noticed a black plastic piece, centrally located ahead of the axle line. I'm tempted to use that to lift the rear, so that I can get jack stands under the right places. Haven't found out anything about it yet though.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I put permanently 4 hokey puck into factory jacking points that way I’m not squishing under carriage or HV battery specifically when car is for service and “ Mechanics “ damage a car IMG_1316.jpeg IMG_1317.jpeg

Giosan likes this.
  14. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Does the SE have a jack point under the center front - subframe like a BMW has?

When I replaced the suspension on my 1 series I put the jack under the front jack point, lifted the rear and put the jack stand under the rear. Repeat other side. Pretty sure I did the same thing with my E36 M3, but that was 15 years ago, and I dont remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.

I then put the jack under the point on the subframe, raised the car and put the two stands under the front jack points. BMW made it easy because there is a hole in the undertray so you can easily see the block.

I haven't looked under the SE.

15. teslarati97

Same points as BMW and you use the same BMW adapter.

16. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Not that I have seen. The motor sits rather low and is covered. There isn't a jacking spot there.

The jack points are on the frame rail so I use a piece of wood between the two in order to distribute the load and then jack in the middle. After I get it high enough, I use the jack points for the jack stands. Works really well.

17. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

It is indeed a jacking point that is attached rear subframe. I have had rear panels and a bunch of other stuff off mine since my last post and now merrily use the central point for rear end jacking. I leave the undertray on to use it. I've not had front panels off to look for one, there.