Temperature under a hood /summer/winter in NY

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Rexsio, Jan 21, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Those measurement most likely not so perfect bc a probe is on top of the motor but is giving me some indication what is going there.Summer NY. outside temperature 90 ‘ F. On motor 123’F.Winter car sitting in garage overnight 100% charged temp.almost 60’F open windows I’m assuming interior motor and batteries the same temp.Outside temp.22’F.After few miles driving temp.fall to 29.8 ‘F.and was as low to 26.5’ F.after 30 miles of driving .I just wander what is with 115’ F .outside in Arizona or Negative 40’ F. In Minnesota? IMG_1299.jpeg IMG_1304.jpeg IMG_1305.jpeg IMG_1306.jpeg The most efficient temperature for EV is in mid-60s degree to mid -70s Fahrenheit .

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Can actual motor temperature be retrieved with any of the OBD access apps and dongle combos? I’m sure the MCU must be able to monitor motor temperature as well as battery temperature. Every summer I tell myself I’m going to look into this further, but have not gotten around to it. Maybe this year…

This is one of my complaints about cars in general. Modern ECU’s monitor everything. There is no excuse for this data not being available in any digital dash, maybe not on the main screen, but it could certainly be on a subscreen.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

revorg and Rexsio like this.
  4. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

What would you do with the information?

insightman likes this.
  5. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

What do you do with the information you see on a clock?

6. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Practically the information on a temperature clock is useless is more like high school experiment I did in 1960 sties and because HAVC system is very complicated on SE better all this temperature sensors work correctly according to their design not like thermostat on ACE cars when they were failing quite often .With so many sensor requirements I wonder if they fail too some day. IMG_1309.jpeg IMG_1308.jpeg IMG_1307.jpeg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Well I can't slow down time, so in that regard it's useless.

9. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Granted, you can't change time, but you do something with the information. (I am assuming that you occasionally look at a clock.)