So Disillusioned with EVs in Canada

Discussion in 'General' started by ScubaSteve, Jan 2, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DJP

DJP Active Member

4090km. The most expensive part of the trip was going through the Prairies --basically double the cost of charging in BC. The Prairies have so much space and sun with so much potential for both solar and wind power generation (which they do have some). The Australians have really taken advantage of their renewable energy potential and show the way it could be for Canada.

R P likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That would have cost me about $500 in my previous ICE car, Subaru Crosstrek. Well, in BC, you can get around almost everywhere just on the free Chevron chargers. I have been making good use of them.

I don't think the Prairies are particularly friendly towards EVs. Problem is that their winters are very cold, and as we know EVs take a huge range hit in those conditions. So until they get more EVs there, chargers will be sparse and they don't mind charging more to those passing through.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
  4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Contrary to popular belief, the environmental attributes from wind and solar in Alberta are packaged and resold to oil & gas companies to meet Scope 1 emissions. This CO2(e) grid intensity loophole is exploited for the production of net zero oil & gas at 0.55t CO2(e) per MWh compared to British Columbia's grid intensity at 0.0115t CO2(e) per MWh.

This is like a person wanting to quit smoking by paying for a non-smoker's time certificates to offset their own smoking. Net zero baby!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    insightman likes this.
  5. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Owners' Manual ... and, you know it.

6. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

My 2022 Ioniq 5 AWD, LR with the Ultimate package is gone.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

This is what happens when InsideEVs fails to delete my account when I politely ask it to be removed.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

You could use "Ignore User" for everyone who disturbs you meditations.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy likes this.
  10. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

Hey insight and OP ... Nio announced their 150kW semi solid state batteries (600+ mile range) (the semis have a small liquid in them..hence "semi" solid state) are in production and going into vehicles... (Welion makes them)

Pretty darn cool we are official in the next stage of battery production .. Yes initially very expensive they are saying roughly 41K for the battery (150kW) .. but those prices will fall fast as production ramps up.

Nio sees 1st mass-produced 150-kWh semi-solid battery pack roll off line

Nio (NYSE: NIO) has begun mass production of its 150-kWh battery pack, a semi-solid state battery that is expected to be in service this quarter.

Nio held a ceremony in Nanjing, Jiangsu province on April 3 to celebrate its first mass-produced 150-kWh battery pack coming off the production line, according to images shared by multiple automotive bloggers on Weibo last night.

Nio unveiled the 150-kWh semi-solid-state battery when it launched the ET7 sedan on January 9, 2021 at the Nio Day 2020 event.

Nio sees 1st mass-produced 150-kWh semi-solid battery pack roll off line - CnEVPost

600 mile range addres OPS and a lot of others including myself issue with the poor charging infrastructer (better but still poor) . 600 Miles lets most people drive right on past at least 1 charge station. My one long trip I take 3-4 times a year is 600 miles. so that would allow me to entirely skip all chargers on the road with the exception of charging at my hotel . St Cloud Mn to Waterloo Ia.

So OP, again..just get yourself a Hybrid for now and 2-3 years we will start seeing these batteries here in the States as well. The Big 3 as well as Hyundai, Kia , Toyota .. they will all HAVE to follow suit with long range batteries are be left behind.

Wonder if NIO locked up Welion or if WeLion can build for other companies.. need to research

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

This report describes the Nio CEO making a 648-mile trip in cold weather from Shanghai to Xiamens, ending with 3% left on the gauge. With this kind of range, most owners who aren't Uber drivers wouldn't likely be frequent visitors to a Nio battery-exchange depot (unless the new battery charges very slowly).

Also impressive is the weight. Nio's new 1,268-lb 150-kWh damp battery pack is only 44 lbs (3.6%) heavier than their old 100-kWh wet one.

OneEV likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Not sure who you contacted. Please PM me with that request and I am sure I could permanently delete your account if that is what you wish.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  14. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Lots of the selection issue in Canada has to do with American protectionism. EU names aside if we were on our own then maybe Chinese brands would be offered here but our auto industry is attached at the hip to the USA

In the EU the selection of EVs is wild and I sometimes want to cry because of it

15. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

I'm not so sure I care all that much because i don't want to trust my safety on some cheap chinese car since driving is the most dangerous thing I do. lol

16. MrSnrub

17. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I thought Tesla was importing Chinese made Teslas into Canada. Also BYD is importing a least one vehicle into Mexico. So it's got to be more then the Trump tax on Chinese vehicles here in the USA.

18. MrSnrub

Tesla does import from China into Canada. But is a big brand like BYD or SIAC? going to start selling cars here in whats a small spread out market without the USA? Doubtful. The Trump tax is a huge part of it in USA and the IRA Battery requirements.

19. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

agreed,even on long trips it would bea toss up.. battery aswap or 30-40 minute charge. Which brings upa new iseu I have been thiking about lately with these fast 15-20 minutes charging times that are coming more mainstream

I had an issue last week when I went to charge ata EA and it was in a outlet mall , I wanted to grab some street tacos and then go over to the Levi store. Even withmy ID 4 where I neve spend more than 30 minutes, I didnt have enough time to do both. I had to go out and move my car so somoen else could charge. and I went back to the levi store.
    So 15 minute charging will be even worse if these chargers are at rrestaurants, grocey store , target , malls etc...

Even in my situation if a batery swap station was also there I would have ate,gone shoopping then just did a 5 minute battery swap to get back on tyhe highway.

amazing .

Did you se the latest ..CATL now has aalmsot 1 million mile battery ..PLus ZER DEGRADATIOON first 100 cycles and 15 year warranty..
    CATL launched the battery pack with Yutung Bus Co to power commercial vehicles like buses and different classes of trucks.

Yutong, one of China’s largest bus makers, said the new battery packs will be used in upcoming electric vehicles. According to the company, the new long-lasting EV battery has zero degradation through the first 1,000 cycles.

The new EV battery pack, made with CATL, has a 932,000 mile (1.5 million km), 15-year warranty. Yutong calls the long-life battery an industry first.

20. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

The only Chinese company that can do it is Volvo because of USA countervailing duties. Volvo can just export S60s and EX90 from South Carolina to offset the Volvo EX30 import tariffs on a dollar for dollar basis.

21. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

But what does the Trump tax have to do with Canada? If BYD can export to Mexico, what prevents them from exporting to Canada?

22. aberdo

aberdo New Member

Foreign manufacturers treat it as an the entire North American market. Canada is literally the entire population of California.