So Disillusioned with EVs in Canada

Discussion in 'General' started by ScubaSteve, Jan 2, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

This is a rant.

I'm so disillusioned with both Hyundai and our crappy charging infrastructure, I am seriously looking into trading in my 2022 top of the line Ioniq 5 EV for a hybrid and not even a plug-in hybrid. I've given up on another EV regardless of which company it would be manufactured by.

I waited a long time for my EV (9 months after multiple delays) and see both Ford and GM don't have any leadership when it comes to EV designs. The GM fiasco with the Blazer EV on the Ultium platform is the latest disappointment. Withdrew my pre-order last year. Same with the misleading Ford Mach-e charge rate.

Our charging infrastructure made gains along the 401 corridor only. Had my first scare at an OnRoute centre with 4 chargers (3 were out of order, the 4th occupied by a F150 lightning). I was moving that day, the movers waiting at my new place, me waiting for the blazing fast speed of 25KW from the Lightning. That owner gave up and I got the spot and charged at 70KW. There weren't any other charging stations to go to near by.

I look at the competition and see either crap (hello Toyota BZ4X), long waits or I'm better off hanging on to my Ioniq 5. The latest disappointment from Hyundai is knowing I have to change the low-conductivity coolant every 3rd year. Not an issue except ... it'll cost me $3,000.00 or average $1,000.00 per year. There go my cost savings on oil changes and it cuts into my gas savings too. Poor design that, in subsequent model years, Hyundai eliminated it.

Now I know, all those positive reviews on YouTube weren't honest and they were just maintaining their status to get those new release and other event invites that they so desperately want. I suspect MotorMouth will wonder why can't we get new cars to review from Hyundai now, why don't we get event invites anymore? MotorMouth is the Canadian automotive review team that highlighted the crazy battery costs in which two different Hyundai owners of the Ioniq 5 were told it would cost over $60,000.00 to replace the battery so both cars were written off. Up go their insurance rates. Hyundai have a modular battery design in which repair was never a consideration.

The issue I am finding with hybrids are the long order wait times and nothing in stock I can choose. Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid has an 8 month wait - not for me - no sale. Their RAV4 hybrid has a 12 month wait - no sale. Honda CRV Hybrid is an option but I suspect the local dealer is misleading that they have them in stock. I'll find out when I return from the U.S. Hyundai and Kia hybrids - not touching either brand with a 10-foot pole.

I do know the hybrids will need oil changes and coolant changes so I will ask the right questions to determine if they use proprietary fluids or off-the-shelf products.

Am I disillusioned about my EV? No. Am I disillusioned about how Hyundai, GM, Ford, VW, et al, treat their customers and the whole scammy marketing by most YouTubers? Oh, yeah.

OneEV likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Have a read at this post. (in particular the PDF of EV Service Schedule)
    Coolant exchange is $379. Hopefully you can find a dealer with equivalent maintenance schedule costs.
    I agree most you tube videos generally perceive a rosy picture.
    With the advent of NACS and applicable adaptors, this should improve within too long.
    Actually the 2024 Ioniq 5 still has dual coolant, only Ioniq 6 and new gen Kona EV have pink coolant exclusively.
    That was a big worry for me as well. However, battery pack clearance show both Leafs I owned (6.3") and Kona EVs (6.2") are lower than the Ioniq5 (6.4"). I carried vehicle replacement insurance on all and will continue with the new model when it arrives. No problem so far in 11 years driving EV.;)

4. I no longer own an ICE car, only 2 BEVs. My Ioniq 6 will handle my trips, and is well suited for that. My Solterra handles my off-road requirements (very well actually). So all my needs are covered. We need two cars in our household anyway and I could not be happier with both cars.

It's interesting how we both have our favs now though. I drive the I6 mostly and my wife the Solterra. We occasionally drive the other, but our preferences are clear. The Solterra ride is a little more comfortable, while the I6 is a bit more sporty. So I am just fine if the wife likes the Solterra better.

5. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Considering the dealer is suggesting a 5-year wait between low-conductivity coolant changes, this is against the recommendation in the owner's manual and would affect warranty claims should the battery age prematurely ... "but the dealer recommended 5 years between changes" Hyundai: "our recommendation is 3 years to maintain your warranty ... sorry, the dealer gave you bad advice and will be reprimanded but your warranty claim is void." Unlikely the dealer in my small city is buying anything in bulk. I'm getting out now. Edit: I read the 2025 model year Ioniq 5 will use one coolant and ditch the low-conductivity one.

6. Any link to documentation on the coolant change regarding Ioniq5 ?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DJP

DJP Active Member

I took a trip to Manitoba from Vancouver in September. What I found with the charging stations I used are:
    • BC Hydro: generally good locations. 50kW and 100kW stations are so much yesterday's story, especially their 100kW stations that only supply 73kW max to my Ariya
    • Petro Canada: didn't even bother. Too many not working
    • Chevron Journie: frustrating waste of time as they would charge for mere minutes before closing down or having a pitiful charging rate
    • Co-op (Prairies): usually at least one out of the 2 station would work. The 100kW stations maxed at 85kW. If both stations are used the power is shared between them so what is already an expensive rate becomes extremely expense. Found out later that when you are trying to get a problematic station to work with a credit card they take $20 each time you use your card. Ended up with over $100 in charges that took some days to be refunded.
    • Electrify Canada: was the most reliable and would hit 127kW almost reaching Ariya's 130kW max. Found this out on the way back and wished I wasn't so adverse to using their stations on the way out.
    Generally, a few simple things would help with charging stations:
    • rubbish bin
    • nearby toilets
    • water to clean windows and car with
    • some place to sit in the shade

bwilson4web and electriceddy like this.
  9. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

Seems like 2 scenarios will happen.

Once Tesla is open to all manufacturers, it will allow for a better cross country experience as long as those stations don't end up clogged between Tesla vehicles and all the other manufacturer's.

Or it will force all the other DCFC stations to get the **** together and put up proper chargers or go bankrupt.

Hopefully the competition will force the second scenario to happen otherwise there will be a shortfall of stations as more EV's are on the road.

10. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

I'm with ya on the rant about non Tesla public charging. While most of my extended run charging sessions have gone ok a few were right on the brink of me having to call a tow to get home.. No thanks. I have a 24 year old Saturn Wagon 5 speed manual that I bought brand new and have maintained as a keep sake. It's back on duty for some of the long distance runs. I also have access to a sibling's 2012 Tucson and take it out now and then just to keep the battery charged and the brakes from rusting.

I use a 2018 Leaf S and it's a great car for what I use it for. I'm a self employed piano technician with most of my client base in urban/suburban locations so an EV is perfect. No expensive battery coolant changes with the Leaf as there's no cooling system. Nissan has taken much heat (ha ha) over this but I've never had a problem with battery overheating. It still has all the capacity bars showing but I know that's a bit of a fib as the maximum GOM range on warm summer days is down to 270 from 300km when new. The car was only rated for 240 combined so that's not too shabby.

That being said I'd like to move the Leaf along. I usually trade in or sell after 4 years in the business as the depreciation claim against income drops down. Also the Leaf uses an orphaned charging system (Chademo) which is on the way out. If you think CCS charging is difficult try Chademo. Looking for a replace vehicle there was nothing available last year and little this year. The few models that are starting to trickle into dealerships tend to be the high end loaded packages which I really don't want. They're not building the cars people want to buy. They're building the cars they want to sell.

Insofar as the Leaf is still solid as a rock at 93,000kms I may just deviate from past practices and hang on to it using the ICE cars for longer distances until the selection improves then we'll see.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

If you like the Leaf have you looked at the MINI Cooper SE? Somewhat shorter range, but oh so fun to drive. And now that the next-gen MINI Cooper BEV is almost available (excluding the US), some deals may be had on the first SE.

insightman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

NOPE: Too small for my usage. I need to be able to slide a grand piano action in for a trip to the shop. I also occasionally do music gigs which involves a full length digital keyboard, speaker cabinet and associated gear. The Leaf gets a little cramped but can do it.

I had my heart set on a Chevy Equinox but it looks like they're out of the picture for awhile. I was actually considering a Cadillac Lyric as at my age my next vehicle could be my last but I would have had to pony up $65,000 CDN$ + my Leaf as trade, and GM's fumbling out the gate with the Ultium platform kind of gave me cold feet.. Also showing up at client's places with a Cadillac might be sending the wrong message about my fees (heh heh). The old gassers aren't going to be around too many more years at which point I really want to go down to one vehicle and I'm sold on BEV only. Yeah, something like the Mini would be fun for shits and giggles if I was just carrying me around.

14. Based on the rates of the DC chargers (not incl Chevron) would it have been cheaper to drive an ICE car on your trip?

15. George Davidson

George Davidson Active Member

Having clocked over 230,000 kilometers on our Kona EV, I would not choose it again. Since 2019, it has been out of service for a year due to various repairs, including a six-month wait for battery replacement. The range reduces by up to 50% during our Prairie winters, which translates to about 140 km at extremely cold temperatures. This morning, the range was 152 km at a 96% SOC at -40°C.

MGrognon likes this.
  16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

With my Tesla Model 3, I plan to line the bottom with aluminized bubble wrap to help insulate it from extreme temperatures.

Bob Wilson

17. DJP

DJP Active Member

$ 300.63 total cost round trip (I don't know if this is cheaper than a ICE)
    $ 0.07 per km

18. I don't know what your total kms were, but $300 doesn't sound too bad for there and back. I know charging station costs keep going up, and gas prices are down a bit for now.

I only have two BEVs now (no ICE car), so won't have a choice.

I would like to make a trip up north to the Yukon and maybe Alaska some time. Right now there is not much for charging between Stewart and the Watson Lake, no fast chargers. That's where we need BC Hydro to step up.

electriceddy likes this.
  19. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

Im a strong advocate for longer range EVs so we can just skip half the chargers we would otherwise need. As millions of new EVs hit the road we will be playing catchup with Charger installs for at least a decade.

Give me the Lucid 500 mile range at 50k and I'm in.

Looks like Toyota is going to be first to USA market with solid state batteries , higher density , half the weight 2-3 times the range of todays evs. Toyota is claimg 725 miles and to market in 2026-7, I suspect will be closer to 600 miles but still a huge leap from where we are today.

So for you sounds like Hybrid is probbably most practical and just keep your eyes peeled for the first solid state mainstream EVs to hit USA/Canada market ..umm 3 years .(the idea is to be able to skip most DCFC chargers unless you are on a 1000 round mile round trip , then you just charge at the Hotel at your destination. Full batteyr on your return trip and skip DCFC

I'd buy an inexpensive used Hybrid instead of new , that allows you to save for a great downpayment on aNew EV in 3 years . I drove a Lincoln MKZ non plug in hybrid for a couple years on UBer as well. Excellent car 40 MPG . Looks sharp , front wheel drive plus snow tires you can get around easy. You cna get these Linkcoln MKZs for around 10k low miles

upload_2024-1-14_18-5-14.png

electriceddy likes this.
  20. OneEV likes this.
  21. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

Yes it is, the problem for a lot of the Country is either lack of chargers, lack of fast chargers , non working chargers and derated chargers. If you live and travelalong a route where the hyper chargers always working then yes Ioniq 5, EV 6 etc.. those are the EVs to own

electriceddy likes this.
  22. Yes, agree, depending on where you live. Here in BC, we are pretty good with chargers. You do run into some that don't work but there are enough others enroute that are usually available. And we have a lot of free fast chargers. At least I have not had a problem. The only place where chargers are sparse are way up in northern BC making it difficult to get to the Yukon and Alaska. Ironically, the Yukon has plenty of fast chargers and most are free. But there is a stretch between Stewart and Watson Lake where you would have to do some L2 charging.

23. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Those solid-state batteries won't come in a $43,000 bZ4X. Expect something more like the $350K Lexus LFA.