Next generation (J01) MINI Cooper revealed

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fishbert, Sep 1, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SW19

SW19 New Member

The seats look OK in that John Cooper Works video but the rest of the interior materials look very cheap.The plastic looks like something you would find in a basic economy car.The front exterior design still keeps the classic Mini look but they really screwed up the rear end.The overall shape looks similar to one of the Hyundai or Kia small cars i see regularly.I don’t know the model name.Also what’s with the shape of the taillights.They look terrible.As someone else mentioned hopefully they improve the interior materials and overall design of the car with the LCI in a few years.

insightman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

My cats will see the textile surfaces and think "yowl! look at all the scratching posts!"

The loss of the centre console control knob, that helps me avoid touching the touch screen, is lamentable.

SameGuy likes this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I have a problem with my dogs hitting my control knob and center buttons when they sleep in the passenger seat, so I think the current placement isn't ideal.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Maybe you could cover the knob with a plastic dessert cup. Masking tape across the top might be required to hold it in place. Be sure to clean all the dessert out of the cup, or your dogs will go for it!

upload_2024-1-15_1-5-58.png

6. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Between the time that I'd put my dog (may he rest in peace) in the back of the car and me getting in the front of the car, he would climb into the front and touch every button. Several times.

Puppethead, Rexsio and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

Soon, passenger dogs will have to be content switching the J01 into Reverse or Park. Perhaps the smarter ones will learn to touch their noses to the J01's center screen to create havoc.

revorg, beerhecht and SameGuy like this.
  9. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Puppethead likes this.
  10. insightman

It was a long read to get to the information important to people who want to drive an electric "MINI Cooper":

As we’ve detailed for the last few years, due to the all new electric J01 MINI Cooper initially being built in China, the US won’t be importing the car due to high tariffs. The same goes for the J05 Aceman which is essentially a five door crossover version of the J01 MINI Cooper. But that will change as MINI expands production of both those vehicles to its Oxford Plant in 2026. Once that production is underway MINI USA will likely import slightly updated versions of both cars.

This means that we will not see an electric MINI Cooper in the North America market for a minimum of two years. But when that changes we’ll likely see both the electric Cooper and Aceman in SE and eJCW forms.

So the US won't see the J01 until at least 2026 (later, if there are teething problems in Swindon), the US won't see the "E" version, and the J01 that comes here will be "slightly updated," whatever that means (different taillights?).

Will there be multiple trim levels of the SE, from E-trim to JCW-trim? Every version should get the HUD now that the instrument panel is being subsumed into the center-mounted Circle-of-Distraction (how do I get the puppy to pop up?).

Will there be an actual JCW with upgraded performance? What would it be called, "Actual JCW?"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
    fizzit and SameGuy like this.
  11. CuriousGeorge

Just using this to bookmark my own research...according to KBB, my 2023 Iconic w/ ~12k miles would presently fetch $20.5k-$22.2k as a trade-in and $24.5k-$26.5k in a private party sale. (KBB may not be the best resource to use here, but I assume that it will at least accurately reflect any trends.)

SameGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Nobody really know the future resale value, but many forum members are very pleased with the total cost of ownership!

insightman and revorg like this.
  14. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I shall be very interested in checking out the Aceman when the USDM version is revealed, as our Subaru Crosstrek will be nearing 10 years old and will likely still fetch good money on the used (or wholesale) market.

However, as much as I appreciate modern tech and conveniences, I have no attraction to gewgaws nor gamification. My car doesn't need a mascot on the CID at the expense of useful information or upgraded materials.

giphy.gif

15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Will @insightman find the Oxford-built J01 worth considering? Maybe not because of weight. Or maybe by 2026 MINI will have a convertible version of the J01 that comes from Oxford.

The Clubman has always been my favorite MINI model, so I'm very interested in the Aceman although I do worry it's going to be the size of the current Countryman. But by the time the Aceman or J01 are available I'll probably be over 100,000 miles on my SE!

16. insightman

I deem even a 200-lb weight-gain unacceptable, but the J01 gains more than that. The longer range (with the unfortunate weight-gain) and electric seats (more weight-gain) shift the SE from an autocross car into the sports tourer category, IMO.

17. CuriousGeorge

Well I bought mine for just over $28k and only pay $0.10/kWh for electricity, so I'm certainly not complaining.

SameGuy and insightman like this.
  18. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I bought mine for a little bit more and I'm paying a little bit more for electricity, and I'm still bragging to my friends.

MichaelC, SameGuy and insightman like this.
  19. teslarati97

Yes they call it 迷你 張桶廠 (Mínǐ zhāng tǒng chǎng)...the MINI John Barrel Factory.

minibarrel1.jpg

SameGuy and insightman like this.
  20. insightman

Because a cooper is a barrel-maker and works translates into factory? LOL! Thank goodness it didn't translate to MINI Toilet Barrel Factory!

Why didn't your great attachment show up with your post?

[​IMG]

teslarati97 likes this.
  21. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    John Pooper Works lol

teslarati97 and insightman like this.
  22. teslarati97

I thought I attached it before posting, but then I realized I didn't attach it. Oh well.

Technically there's no word for barrel in Chinese, it's a container (pail, bucket, etc.) or big container (i.e. barrel). Thought it would be more appropriate because a cooper is a barrel maker akin like the Shoemaker/Schumacher surname.

Didn't want to go too far into the potty humor, either!

insightman likes this.
  23. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I’m bragging about SE to everybody as I bought with some extras floor rubber mats trunk roof rack and heated steering wheel I payed $30500 but after rebates was $23000 and a car was not preordered just lucky me get from dealer in 2 weeks bc someone cancelled order on top off this my solar system is keeping up with electricity demand for SE and my household and my electric bill is almost Zero . But the best thing is my electricity supplier is paying me $ 0.10 kWh as long I charge SE between 12-8 am and spoiling me in August and September with $25 bonuses as long as I don’t charge during a day only 12-8 am .Just as I sign for a program I get bonus of $100 bill .This is NY what a CITY !!! Only a bad thing about it is I’m driving 5000 miles a year and for sure I don’t become millionaire That arrangement will be the best for @ Puppethead with his driving habit over 2 years with 75000 miles on odometer at least your tires will be covered for free.

Qisl likes this.