Homelink no longer working properly

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dan Albrich, Jan 9, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

There are some homelink threads here, but I didn't find one covering the case where it used to work well, then stopped working. So figured worth an ask.

I have a 2018 Honda Clarity (Touring if that matters). For years pressing the trained garage door has worked for me, sometimes from about 1/2 block away. I'd tap it "early" and then on arrival the garage door would already be open.

So the question, My Clarity is now 5 years old. Even if directly infront of the garage, I now have to press the button repeatedly to get the garage open.
    So the maybe stupid question/s:
    - Does the console where the buttons are need like a new watch battery or similar? I didn't see reference to such in the Honda manual.
    - Does it make sense that it would get somehow less sensitive over time, or perhaps mean I need erase and reprogram? I haven't tried that yet. And yes being a bit lazy to come ask here first. It's just odd to me that it worked perfectly literally for years, and now is spotty.

-Dan

PS: I briefly accidentally replied to an older mini cooper thread in these forums (on homelink) then realized I wasn't in the Clarity section. I deleted that post.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

1. Is your Clarity the only car set up to use your Homelink garage-door connection? That would be the easy way to point the finger at your Clarity or the Homelink receiver.
    2. Can you try to set up a different Clarity button to open the garage door?
    3. Do you know anyone who also has a Homelink garage-door opener? You could try to connect with that receiver to see if that works.
    4. If you have a really good friend who also has a Homelink garage-door opener, who would be willing to screw up their Homelink connnection, that person could try to connect with your Homelink garage-door opener to see if it takes multiple button presses to get the door open.
    From your description, I'd put my money on the Clarity's Homelink transmitter (maybe just the button) being the problem.

4. Dan Albrich

Thanks for your kind suggestions Insightman. I was able to find the garage door opener (the one I used to train the Clarity) and after installing a new 2032 battery tested it with good success. The original opener (not Clarity) has amazing range and works consistently. Of course, it has a clip for the car's visor and could be used in lieu of the built-in buttons.

I may try erase the buttons (now that I know I have a working remote) and then re-program. I'll try programming a different button to see if that works (both of which won't happen tonight but can happen in the next few days. For the sake of anyone else who may encounter, I'll return to the thread to post any findings.

Also if it is actually not working anymore (or not working properly), I have the 8 year, 120K HondaCare so its conceivable I could get the unit fixed (if that's the problem).

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I read in another thread that opener performance can be affected by local interference caused by LED (or fluorescent) bulbs. They can emit interference even when they appear to be working properly. They may fail in such a way that they emit more interference with no visible signs. I have not had a problem, but from the beginning, the Homelink control from the vehicle was always weaker than the factory remote (ie: we have always needed to be much closer to the door with the Clarity than with the factory remotes). This led me to conclude that the Homelink control transmits less power than the factory remote, and therefore may be more susceptible to a low level of interference.

6. AHolbro1

AHolbro1 Member

Interesting. My garage door opener is old, though young enough to have the rolling-code feature rendering the Homelink fitted to my 97 and prior Jags useless. It is a Genie, pre-existing when I bought the house in late '99. My experience is the Clarity has 2x -3x the range of the OEM remote as well as that of the various Avalons, S-types, and Ford Truck products equipped with Homelink that now actuate it or have been employed to do so in the past!

Check the manual, but the Ol Genie I have, will entertain 6 different actuation sources, IIRC. If it is "full" and you program another device, it kicks out the oldest one, I believe. As yours seems to eventually open the door, it would seem this is not your problem, but you never know who'll happen by the thread who has a problem that their car simply quit opening the door and this may be useful to them. You stumble on such factoids when you have 5 closely-spaced kids and a wife who all end up with homelink-equipped cars whilst still living at home or away at school and subject to periodic return.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I smile when I punch my 2018 Clarity's Homelink button a block from home and find the garage door open when I arrive. OTOH, I sometimes sit within 3 feet of the garage in my 2021 MINI and get no response.

9. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

Already some great replys. But have you tested your 12v battery lately? Definitely a long shot but especially if you've never replaced it.

10. GolfGirl55

GolfGirl55 New Member

Interesting, experiencing the same thing with 2018 Honda Clarity - new garage door opener, was working fine for about a week, now (just the last few days) it will open the door when the car is in the garage and will close it when the car is just outside the garage door, but can't get it to open it from just outside the garage door with the garage door closed. Frustrating!

11. Dan Albrich

I had intended to come back and post my findings. The winter storm hitting most of the nation (including here in Oregon), has changed my priorities for awhile.
    I can consistently get the garage door open if I repeatedly press, usually just a few feet from the door. I will come back to updating this thread when I can. It's not a big deal. I also can't drive anywhere at the moment anyway (due to ice storm).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GolfGirl55

GolfGirl55 New Member

We reset the Homelink and added the garage door back in, it seems to be working fine now.

Dan Albrich and insightman like this.