12 v. Battery cover replacement/ recall

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Rexsio, Nov 17, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

IMG_1186.jpeg One of the members ask for picture of old battery cover / new first picture/ is more sold .The ugly wiring you see on top of cover ? I’m checking temperature on top of motor. IMG_1147.jpeg IMG_1154.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
    endquote likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

I thought my 2021 was immune to this problem, but I just got the recall notice letter in today's mail.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Me, too, with my 2021. I wonder why the newer SEs were recalled first rather than the cars in service longer while the "rub" has its way with the positive 12V cable? I'd assume that the problem first appeared in older cars.

Other forum members have said it's not easy to see the difference with the replacement battery cover. If nobody else does it first, I'm going photograph the difference between the two covers if I can detect that difference (note to self: bring a ruler).

5. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I post a picture old and new one .new one is heavier plastic and really is no difference

insightman likes this.
  6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I asked my service department about this when it first came out and they checked and said it didn't apply to the 2021s, the recall must have been extended later.

MichaelC and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I just got a letter in the mail today from Mini too that my car with my VIN is affected by the recall. My car is an early 2021 model.

I then checked the Mini site and it doesn't show a recall for my car.
    https://www.miniusa.com/owners/tools-support/recall.html

I think Mini screwed up their mailers.

9. Mini4bv

Mini4bv New Member

No recall for my 2022 when I checked but the cover was replaced when I had it in for the 2 year service. It was flagged as 'Perform recall per factory bulletin'. The dealer also programmed the telematics control unit, flagged the same way. Perhaps these are recalls that don't fall under the Safety and Emissions Recalls on the MINI webpage?

10. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wonder if this is more of a "quality recall" instead of a "safety recall" for our older models? I likewise didn't see any recalls for my SE when I checked the VIN on MINI's site, but the service adviser confirmed it and scheduled an appointment when I called them this afternoon.

11. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

JonR and MichaelC like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I just got mine Saturday as well. Called yesterday and they're ordering the parts so I'll get it fixed next Friday. Mine also does not come up in the recall check for the VIN. Better safe than sorry to replace it though. Dealer is going to give me a loaner so no big deal to me either way.

14. We had ours changed during our 2nd service check last Sep. I think the slot accommodating the cable have changed, I might be wrong.

Attached is a pic of the after, unfortunately I don’t have a pic of the before. IMG_5283.JPG

JonR likes this.
  15. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

I have a 2020 and just got the recall letter, guess they finally remembered my model year existed LOL

insightman likes this.
  16. Miniev1

Miniev1 New Member

Mine is a 2021.
    I called the dealer and was told that they only need to replace it if I have any problem currently which I don't.
    I'm to call if anything comes up.
    Fine by me since the dealer is an hour away.

17. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I had the recall performed the other day and I didn't have any damage to the battery cable. They did go ahead and replace the battery cover with the revised one.

They also updated the software to the latest version which removed all of my Bimmercode changes. Unfortunately for me, I purchased Bimmercode when I had an Android phone and I now have an Apple. The license doesn't transfer between the two stores so I had to purchase the software again. I don't mind because Bimmercode works so well and really makes the driving experience much better.

I made my changes but this time, I didn't change the dash lighting to take care of the auto-dimming problem the car had. I hope the newer software version fixes this but if not, I'll Bimmercode to use the old style lighting display brightness. Fingers crossed!

CoachCookie likes this.
  18. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

The radio display dimming problem remains after the most recent software update. I pulled into a parking lot just a few minutes ago and the display went completely dark and after a few seconds, brightened back up again. I had to use Bimmercode to fix this once again.

Headunit => Expert Mode => "3005 Display PIP Info" => "DIM_VARIANT" => change the default "NEW" to "OLD" This allows you to adjust the brightness during the day and the scroll wheel by the headlight control controls the brightness at night.

How does this not drive everyone crazy? Such an annoying bug in their software.

19. ghost

ghost Active Member

Is this on the HUD? I've never experienced any dimming in the center display.

20. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

My car doesn't have HUD. The center display with the radio is the problem. The outer ring does it too but the easy fix for that is to just turn that off. I never have that on.

BMW owners complain about this too as well as other F56 owners. The little light sensor is in a poor location and with tinted windows, it sets the amount of brightness on the display during the day frequently wrong so it goes dark, bright, dark, bright...