Ioniq 5 charge from 20 to 80% in 20 min is a lie

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Chicago Bob, Mar 5, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Chicago Bob

Chicago Bob New Member

I see all these Youtube guys talk about how great the Ioniq 5 is at charging so much so
    I actually buy one. Then I find out Only the AWD and Only with a crazy bunch of nav settings can you get battery preconditioning and heating of the battery.
    So the longest range Ioniqs the RWD versions can not charge in cool to cold weather worth a damn. I mean 20 to 80% in 1 hour and 20 minutes.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Now you know. Hyundai will lose customers over this.

I was one of the first Canadian owners of the AWD, LR, Ultimate package with the battery heater but no useable Winter mode and no battery pre-conditioning (yet). My weather is the same that Chicago gets during winter. And, I thought I could take a chance without a rear wiper. No more Hyundais will be bought nor recommended by me. I'd sell it and find a better performing EV. Something I will look at myself, later this spring. Don't support a company like this by buying a 2023.

4. Rich5

Rich5 New Member

I specifically wanted an EV with a heat pump and battery conditioning. So I have an AWD with the heat pump. What I did not know was that it was not functional when I bought it.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Did you see this good news thread about battery-preconditioning started by fellow early-adopter, @ScubaSteve?

6. Joe Ventre

Joe Ventre New Member

I live in Florida where we don’t worry about season long cold weather so I get 18 charging at DCFC locations, if the charger is working properly. However on a recent trip north I experienced the one hour plus charging times and greatly reduced range caused by the cold. I have a RWD SEL and don’t even have preconditioning available. EVs are great but people need to understand they shouldn’t buy one based solely on what the dealer tells them for at least 2 reasons, dealers lie and/or don’t mention negatives and many sales people have very little knowledge of EVs themselves. This is not just Hyundai dealers. I spoke to Ford, VW and Chevy dealers about their cars and I knew more about their vehicles than any of them.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

Keith Smith likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Hyundai literally lied to both their American and Canadian customers. The dealer staff simply don't know EVs. I've dealt with Hyundai, Ford and GM sales reps. ... none of them have updated their knowledge about EVs. Manufacturers should make battery preconditioning a normal feature on all future EVs ... but they won't. This is another reason why the legacy automakers will go under in the next 10 years or sooner. Why they aren't learning how Tesla did it is just stupid.

9. Steve Meadows

Steve Meadows New Member

My first charge at a 350kw DC EA, in Mentor, OH was certainly in the ballpark of what Hyundai promised. Peak rate was 174kw. Went from 38% to 90% in 17 minutes.

Mike Bearsails and electriceddy like this.
  10. Yep....I have 0 issues charging and get great charging speeds, have seen as high as 241kw on an Electrify Canada 350kw charger. Have charged many times from around 10 - 12% in the 18 minute time frame to 80%.
    We put on over 1000km per week, most of our charging is at home but we do a lot of road trips and we do a fair bit of DCFC as well.
    Have had no complaints about the charge speed especially after having our 2023 Kona EV and doing 48000km in 10 months.
    Pretty flawless car so far.
    Mike

Steve Meadows likes this.
  11. JasonG

JasonG Member

I completed a 480 mile trip recently with my "new" 2023 Ioniq 5 and charged at a 350 kW Electrify America station. The temperature was in the mid-60s. Charged from 12-83% in 30 minutes with peak of 196 kW. Total of 57.5 kWh delivered! It slowed significantly at 80% so probably should have stopped sooner. A lot of heat was pumped into the cabin, which was unexpected but nice on a cool day. Second session was at a 150 kW Electrify America station with a peak charging rate of 120 kW and charged from 29-80% in 20 minutes. Overall, probably twice as fast as the Kia Niro EV I previously had. Quite happy with these results!

OneEV likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Hey Jason
    That is fantastic! We are at 11,350km on our road trip and on the way home to Ontario, Canada. Just at an EA station in LA Grande, Oregon on a 350kw charger, peaked at 237kw and went from 11% to 80% in 17 minutes, we are just now pushing to 90 as no one here and we have a big jump to the next on in Boise, ID.
    Ans yes this car is WAAAAY faster charging than our Kona ever was....a much more enjoyable road trip car although the Kona was awesome and we road tripped the hell ot of it!
    Have a great day!
    Mike and Ally

electriceddy likes this.
  14. JasonG

JasonG Member

Wow, sounds like quite the road trip! Update for my return 480+ mile trip going 65-75 mph depending on traffic. Left with 100% charge and drove 142 miles, charged at a 150 kW Electrify America and took 13 minutes to go from 51% to 80% delivering 27.7 kWh (peak charging 154 kW). Then, drove 164 miles and charged at another 150 kW Electrify America for 27 min to go from 24% to 90% delivering 54.5 kWh (peak charging 141 kW). Unfortunately, the 350 kW chargers were taken by other vehicles... Still, quite impressive and then made it the 185 miles home with 22% battery charge left. So, only 40 minutes of charging on the road for a 480 mile trip! Pretty amazing in my book! Had lunch at the 2nd stop and had to move the car before we could even finish...

electriceddy likes this.
  15. Hey Jason
    That is really great...we have the same kind of experiences. We charged 3 times today and no issues. Last charge in Denver was at an EA station and it was free! We really like those...LOL
    In any case we are super impressed with the Ioniq5, we are pushing pretty hard with a lot of traveling gear on board so we will see how it does!
    Great to hear your trip went so well! Time for a linger one...
    Mike and Ally

16. Just curious: How fast does the Ioniq 5 charge at a Tesla Supercharger with Magicdock? Anyone tried it? I am considering replacing my 2021 Kona with a 2025 Ioniq 5 when it has the NACCS port.

17. Steve Meadows

Steve Meadows New Member

The Ioniq Guy reported a slow 43KW starting at optimum temperature, and 20% SOC. This lower charging rate is on Tesla, but may improve in time.