Help with charging using the mini app

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Nickers, Dec 31, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Nickers

Nickers New Member

I’m looking for help with the Mini SE app for charging. I plugged in yesterday for the first time, set the charging times to 12:00-5:00am for my cheap rate electricity and departure time of 7:45am. This is through a 3-pin charger until we move house next week.

I woke up in the night and checked it and the times has completed changed for both charging hours and departure time and it hadn’t charged. I then changed to charge immediately, and it started. Then when I woke up at 6am, charging had stopped and reset to charging hours, but again random times.

The car had 59% when I plugged in and only reached 80% during this time.

I’m really confused if I’m doing something wrong or need to do something with the car as well?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. endquote

endquote Active Member

Hello, looks like we're both blackout/powerspoke drivers!

I'd personally try putting all the settings in the car rather than the app to start out with.

Nickers likes this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I believe the issue is setting the departure time outside of the charge window. The SE back figures when to start charging in order to be at 100% for departure time, but it may stop to keep within the charge window. So let's say it needed three hours to reach 100%, 7:30 - 3 would start charging at (roughly) 4 am or so, and then at 5 am it would stop to avoid charging outside the window. Set your departure time to your charge window end time and see if that helps.

I recently discovered if your departure time is outside of your low-cost charge window the SE will climatize the vehicle but will not draw from the wall power so you'll end up losing a few % SoC (the SE will be the same as if unplugged when climatizing).

5. Louis W

Louis W Member

If you're using the wall charger in a regular 120V household outlet and started at 58%, then 80% may have been the best it could do in the five hours, i.e. it only charged between midnight and 5a like you specified.

Slow charging is 120V @ 12A, or 1.4 kW. In real life, that's only about 2-3% per hour.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024