45 series tire flats from potholes - plus size or run flats?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Josh enviro, Dec 22, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Josh enviro

Josh enviro New Member

Has anyone used plus size tires (245/45 R18) on the stock alloy wheels?

I have to assume the engineer lost the argument with marketing about what size tires to put on the car. My wife has had 2 flats from hitting pot holes and it looks like this one caused a gap in the bumper too. She will be driving one of the older cars with taller sidewalls and more clearance when it rains. stock size: 235/45 R18s. plus size tire is 245/45 R18 and is recommended by the tire shop and we would need to match the pair. Other option is run flats but he thought that would effect the handling and ride. I saw one post mention drive guard run flats. A 3rd option would be to buy new 17 inch wheels and get taller sidewall tires with about the same outside diameter as stock(haven't looked it up but there are tables)

thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Perhaps you have very rough roads or drive differently from me. I commute in Baltimore, with pretty rough roads (potholes, etc), and in 5 years (35k miles) on the OEM tires, I've had no trouble with flats - the treads are still good, too (according to mechanic). I have had one screw embedded (probably some construction site I passed) and that was repaired easily.

4. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

When i changed my tires about 16 months ago, i went with the plus size....i mean the next size up on tire diameter. No problems at all. Very happy with my BF Goodrich tires

5. Below are 2 charts, one for the proposed size from the tire shop, the other for a 17” wheel. The tire shop recommendation increases sidewall height by 2.4% while at the same time creating possible clearance issues. The 17” option increases sidewall height by 9.5% while maintaining all other OEM dimensions. Which tire do you believe might best help with your pinch flat issue?

Does the tire shop recommend running different size tires on each axle? What do they recommend when it’s time to rotate tires?

6. Here are the charts. IMG_3135.jpeg
    IMG_3136.jpeg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. neal adkins

I went with 235 50 18 ....not the plus size.

9. When it comes to tires, how do you define “plus size”? IMG_3138.jpeg

10. neal adkins

I was just used op's terminology so he could understand i went with different size than what he called plus size. The plus size his tire shop recommended was wider and a little taller.

11. If you were to define “plus size” would you say that the tire needs to be both taller and wider to be considered “plus size”?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. neal adkins

I think larger in either measurement could be looked at as plus.size. depends on how you look at it. I guess common sense isn't so common