Next generation (J01) MINI Cooper revealed

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fishbert, Sep 1, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

According to Automobile Catalog 2014 BMW I 3 base curb weight 2634 lbs. GVWR.weight 3571 lbs.and with Range extender curb weight 2899 lbs. / GVWR 3814 lbs.10 year later Bmw quit on carbon fiber technology and build them heavier and with better batteries technology they can’t build them any lighter. IMG_1261.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

The CFRP went mostly to BMW iX and they made it much heavier than the i3.

ix0122-cw-fod-drawing1.jpg

4. endquote

endquote Active Member

MichaelC likes this.
  5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Who here gives even the slightest chance that the matrix taillights and headlights will cross the ocean intact?

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Assuming the European/UK J01s have matrix headlights, would MINI re-engineer the J01s for the NA market just to save on costs? If so, hopefully the re-engineering will be minimal, so a matrix-headlight upgrade is easy, if not inexpensive.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Aren't they legal in the US now?

9. teslarati97

For some BMWs, they were successful enabling the automatic high beam assistant in Bimmercode expert mode. I think you need to have an Iconic model with KAFAS at bare minimum.

10. SameGuy

YUL
    I'm talking about the matrix "pixelated" lights. I give it about 0% chance. We'll either get a locked-out feature (solid patterns, no alterations), or more likely entirely different modules without the animated pixels feature.

11. SameGuy

YUL
    My "Iconic" has automatic high beams. If you can afford the matrix headlight units, it's possible to enable them on North American F56es.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

I'd like to know more about this revelation. Is there a thread on another forum or a website that describes such an upgrade?

14. Frank Jenkins

Frank Jenkins New Member

The next-gen MINI Cooper is finally here! Can't wait to see all the new features and upgrades.

15. insightman

The J01's specs, features and "upgrades" have been discussed on this forum for months. I'll count the J01 as "here" when multiple journalists can drive it and report on its performance. I don't care where the journalists get to drive it; tests of the J01 "here" where I live in North America won't be possible for years.

MichaelC, SameGuy and Rexsio like this.
  16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I remember when the SE was just going on sale, I think I watched every test drive video on YouTube, regardless of country of origin (one of my favorites was from Slovakia or Hungary or somewhere in that general part of Europe). I haven't seen such videos for the J01 crop up yet, so I'm still treating it as "pre-production".

MichaelC and insightman like this.
  17. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Same! It got to the point where I could tell when they touched on the topic of range even though I couldn't understand a word they were saying.

18. insightman

I wish I'd known about @revorg's great International Mini Cooper News website back in those days! It would have saved me tons of time googling on my own. It was such a pita to search for "MINI Cooper SE" and then sort through endless links to the MINI Countryman SE.

SameGuy, revorg and MichaelC like this.
  19. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

I like the way that the "Roller Derby News" at https://1revorg.org/ redirects to mini Cooper news. ;)

SameGuy likes this.
  20. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I'll have to take a look at that.

[pause]

Fixed! It's been that way for several years. I guess there's not a lot of interest in roller derby news.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    SameGuy likes this.
  21. insightman

How many roller derby fans are now driving MINI Coopers as a result of that coding anomaly?

endquote likes this.
  22. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Anything for the cause. I might even knock on some doors.

insightman likes this.
  23. teslarati97

So I was watching Autogefühl recently and now have come to the conclusion that the F56 SE is using NMC/NCM) 622 similar to the 120Ah i3 (LCI2). This would make sense as the battery cells are smaller than the Samsung SDI 120Ah (173mm x 125mm x 45mm). Now I am even more pleased with the F56 BEV, because the chemistry was optimized despite the packaging limitations!

minibattery2.JPG