"Charge here" via MINI App?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by inferno10, Dec 9, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. inferno10

inferno10 Member

I'm not sure if this is old news, but I just noticed that there's a "Charge here" option under the Charging section. I was able to create a Shell Recharge account and start public charging via the Mini app. Looks to be limited to chargers compatible with the Shell Recharge network. I was able to start a charge w/ a Chargepoint charger this way. Wonder if this will eventually allow for the setup of Plug and Charge.

638C4698-D82C-4B26-8B16-30D103CAABDD_1_201_a.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

@inferno10, I have a Shell Recharge account, and after reading your post I wanted to learn how to connect my account to the MINI app. However, the "Charge here" option doesn't appear between "Charge & Climate timer" and "Charging history" in my Android app Version 3.11.2(29533).

4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Is it possible that menu only appears and populates when one is near a supported station?

5. endquote

endquote Active Member

Sitting here at home, I see "Charge here / no charging stations nearby" when I'm not near anything. If I tap it anyway it will direct me to further stations. One of these has a "Shell recharge" tag on it, but selecting it says "mobile app authentication not supported" so... not sure what to do from there.

SameGuy likes this.
  6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

You can now also set preferred charging networks, I've never noticed that before. Did it come with the latest update, or have I just missed it? I'm on app version 3.11.2 (29533) on iPhone.

IMG_5176.jpg IMG_5175.jpg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I've had "preferred" for a long time, but I don't see "charge here."

9. inferno10

inferno10 Member

I'm on 3.12.0 (29622). You probably need to update to this version to see the new setting.

Also, I don't think you can link an existing Shell Recharge account. I didn't see an option to log into an existing account, only to add a CC. My guess is that Shell Recharge links to your MINI account.

insightman likes this.
  10. Puppethead

Odd, App Store said I was up-to-date but when I went to the app in the store it showed 3.12.0 was available for download. Now that I'm truly up-to-date I see the "Charge here", and it shows up even when not near anything.

IMG_5180.jpg

And playing with it for a bit it's pretty impressive! It seems to be on par with PlugShare, and since it shows availability at each location I wonder if maybe it's using PlugShare data?

Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 21.40.11.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    insightman likes this.
  11. inferno10

inferno10 Member

I happened to charge at an Electrify America station today, so I took a look at the MINI app and saw something promising. It looks like the Charge here function will be able to link with your EA account so you might be able to start charges at an EA station as well.
    IMG_7853.JPG

I tried to add an EA account, but kept getting an error, so maybe it's still in the works.
    IMG_7851.jpeg IMG_7849.PNG

SameGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

My app responds with no chargers within 0.12 miles. That’s only 600 feet. Is there a way to adjust that initial distance setting?

IMG_2406.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

14. Puppethead

I just tapped on the "find charging stations" button and was able to search for chargers farther away, see my previous post.

15. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Each time you tap the "find charging stations", it displays those further away. Apparently, still none in my tiny village.

16. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

When I hit the find charger button the distance jumps from 600 feet to 32 miles, but it does not show the largest charging station in this area, which is an EA.

Does EA show up on the app for anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

17. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I think AI lost some part of “brain”

18. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Oh, the app does point out a number of charging stations in my area, and in increasing distances fom my location. There are (apparently) lots of stations in the surrounding villages, just not in mine. But, not to worry, I do almost all of my charging at home.

19. Puppethead

My screenshot in previous post shows EA at the top of the list, "HPC/DC Electrify America". You may have to tinker with filter settings and/or add it to your preferred providers.

SameGuy likes this.