New Generation Kona EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Dec 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Yes it needed a support bar. Thanks for sending all the pictures much appreciated ..

EeVeed likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

There are a few forums on what kind of spare you need at least for the 2019 etc. I have a spare.

4. Now I have to get new snow tires... :(

5. Let the dust settle and keep in contact with your salesperson c/w a preferred specific price. All will work out -patience is on your side.;)

6. Very good advice. In my case, I had no choice and had to purchase one quickly.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Where a
    Where are you located the price only went up $1500.00 from 2013..

9. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

That colour is amazing!

EeVeed likes this.
  10. Metro Vancouver area.

11. I have some brief comments (mini-review) for my first full day with my Kona Electric Ultimate. My first commute was lots of fun. So many cameras when turning and parking. My old Kona Electric from 2019 didn't have all these features. I no longer have to plug in my phone to get the map feature (Android Auto) working. The HUD (I love HUDs) is improved and no longer has that cheap looking extra glass piece for projection; it now projects directly on the window. The driver digital display covers more of the front dash with no more analogue displays. The driver dash display is large but welcomed. There are still physical knobs to play with - I appreciate that. If I wanted all digital, I would have gone with a Tesla. I like the new gear changer by the steering wheel. And now there are 4 levels of regen. Level 4, I'm told, is similar to how a Tesla works. I don't know because I haven't actually been in a Tesla recently for a long period of time. I appreciate the larger trunk size and more space for the rear passengers. The exterior looks wicked, in a good way.

The only negatives so far are that I still can't connect with my old Chamberlain garage door (it pairs but won't open the garage door - I had the same issue with my 2019 Kona so I think it's just that particular Chamberlain model) and that I cannot yet use my digital key until a promised update fixes the issue. I miss the sunglasses compartment, but not a huge issue. And the fob looks and feels cheap, in my opinion. The emergency key to start the car no longer attaches directly to the fob for convenience. These are minor gripes that I can live with.

Overall, I'm very happy with my new car! :)

Wildeyed and KiwiME like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. If the design follows the other newer Hyundai/Kia EVs, when placed in Level 0 there will be no regen accompanying foot braking until after some 10 or so presses, the intent being to help keep the disks clean. Once past that it's the same as the other levels (and your 2019 Kona) where foot braking brings in regen as a priority over the disks unless or until it's not possible or useful.

EeVeed likes this.
  14. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Get to drive on this Wednesday...

15. Is Level 0 the same as the snow/winter mode? I need to take a look as I haven't tried that yet. Since it's close to winter I should try it out soon.

16. @GPM432 Hope you have fun this Wednesday!

17. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I haven't driven much in the snow but I think having some regen would slow your car down in stead of using your brakes. Brakes sometime makes you skid In the snow you just have to anticipate sooner to brake allow more time Where are you again??

18. Bought mine today! White with light green interior. Pick up next week.

19. Actually, in snow and ice conditions, don't use regen esp in a FWD car. If the front wheels skid/slip, you will lose steering ability. With brakes, ABS is applied which mitigates slipping and losing steering ability. You will hear the chatter which means the ABS is doing its job. And for just plain traction in snow, can't beat AWD with good winter tires.

EeVeed and electriceddy like this.
  20. Got to have pics, we want to see it...

EeVeed and insightman like this.
  21. Updated my profile.

22. I agree. I almost lost it on a very slippery corner on the Hope Princeton last winter because the regen was on. When I took my foot off the throttle, the front wheels started breaking (slowing down) because of the regen before I was ready to break. Caused the back end to try and catch up with the front end. Now, We still normally run in Level 3, but when there are wet or slippery roads, we now turn the re gen off along with cruise control and the Driver's Assist.

EeVeed and R P like this.
  23. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Doesn't the Kona's traction-control system control both the brakes and regen? In 3 winters, my MINI Cooper SE's traction-control system has never allowed full regen to lock up my front wheels in the slippery stuff. It also works for acceleration--when I floor it in the slippery stuff, the car just creeps forward, refusing to spin the front wheels.