SE autocross and suspension thread.

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by pictsidhe, Jul 14, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Accessed with the odometer reset button. I forget the exact dance to get into roller mode. Turn car on and long press the button until it pops up a menu. Then more long and short presses.

Roller mode disables most safety things. ABS, stability. The car will still limit wheelspin by cutting power, however.
    IMG_20230806_120902906.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. pictsidhe

My ARB is forcing me to avoid overdriving. It gets somewhat entertaining if I go into a corner too hot now. I'm probably going to finish the year on this bar then decide if I am keeping it or finding something more subtle. It will help me learn to drive better, though.
    My club lost their best venue last year. Danville airport. The previous year, someone had put their 600hp BMW through a shed after trying too hard to save it. Possibly related.

4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Hehe hehe hehe

5. pictsidhe

3 weeks ago, I attnded the North Carolina Autoctoss championships. I was midfield. I was merrily throwing the car around. Very safe course. :) Last weekend, a local event. It was cold. I struggled. First run was a hot mess, I spun the next two runs then tiptoed the last two. Decided the big bar was coming off. I do not want to daily through winter with a car this loose.
    I pulled it off today and fitted an 918 bar with extra holes. The 918 is the softer sport suspension bar and two grades higher than the stock SE bar. I did a quick road test in the stiffest setting. It feels pretty neutral. Ride is drastically improved. The godawful squeaking is gone. Stock 918 setting should be pretty close to my modified stock bar, which I've done one winter with while keeping my underwear clean. The 918 was tough to drill. Extnding the flat area for the fresh hole took some effort. Bolt and washers barely touched it. My hydraulic terminal crimpers barely did anything. Two sockets, a bolt to keep them in place and my vice also didn't get very far. Two scokets, the bolt and my biggest hammer eventually got it done. My cats were decidedly unimpressed with that method, however.

Calculated stiffness
    Stock SE: 164
    Mod SE: 198 + 21%
    918: 214 +30%
    mod 918: 264 +61%
    25mm: 550 +235%

I have a two day event next weekend to test it properly.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2023
    CuriousGeorge, MichaelC and Giosan like this.
  6. Thanks for getting back to me. Let me know how your next event goes.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    My favourite Clarkson interjection is "a little poo came out!" :cool:

9. pictsidhe

1st day with the rear bar downgrade. It's an upgrade, I'm faster. :-D
    I've gone 3psi higher on rear tyre pressure than when I had the stock-ish bar on. I suspect that the big bar may have retuned the nut behind the steering wheel. Depending on how I enter a corner, I can get under or some oversteer. One tightening corner I would drift down to its apex with a tiny bit of throttle to limit deceleration, then power out. Lovely. Those were hard and ugly with the bigbar. I do feel like I've lost a bit of exit drive, but I'm apexing faster and in far more control. Hopefully I'll have a slippery event to test this bar's poo rating. I used to do well at those, before the bigbar. The downgrade bar's stiff setting so far seems like a decent compromise. I may want one a little stiffer, but certainly not the 25mm one that I took off.

MichaelC, CuriousGeorge and Giosan like this.
  10. pictsidhe

A chilly event on Sunday. Maybe high 50s when I ran. There was a breeze too.
    Car was setup same as event, with my rear bar at about +60% over stock SE. It was pretty loose but I failed to spin despite seriously ham fisting it in places. My times were reasonable. I PAXed a few people I didn't think I'd catch this year. Next weekend, last event of the season. Also a chilly forecast. I'll put my bar down to full soft for that one. Which is still a about 30% over stock. I definitely seems like the more grip there is, the more rear bar it likes. I think it's a reasonably competive car right now, the nut behind the wheel needs the most tuning.

Giosan, insightman and MichaelC like this.
  11. Thanks for the update. I'll be lowering my SE with the H&R springs when I get back from Australia. I've seen some hardcore custom cars here.

jakesmini likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Sktam

Sktam New Member

New to the forum. Picking up my SE tomorrow. Has anyone here tried adding “packers” to the bump stop to adjust for the roll and give it some stiffness from the rear?

14. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

Direct answer: I don't anyone has tried that.

It's not legal in Street class to make the bump stop engage sooner than stock. You can exchange for a firmer one though.

The car actually rotates ok out of the box, then starts to get pretty fun with a rear bar.

15. Sktam

Sktam New Member

Thank you. I did not know that. Currently want upgrade tires before I add a rear bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. Yes MINI ought to be more forthcoming on spring and ASB specs and interchangeabilty with SE.

Can you really compete in GS class with non-stock/altered bars??

For a less-ambitious person, are there places to add shims in the ASB mounts to balance the corner weights?

17. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

You can do one sway bar in Street (it hasn't been called Stock for many years.). Can also change the them diameter 1" (but not the width) and the offset by up to 7mm. You can also legally do the BMW camber correction front knuckles if you're hardcore, but that's significant cost and labor for not much camber. I doubt there's any legal off the shelf dampers due to the height change.

The access to the rear sway bar mounts is restricted enough that it would be a huge pain to shim. I doubt there's any tangible benefit to doing that on the SE. Any F56 RSB will fit back there but the install is more difficult than on an ICE car because of the battery.

Again, the car is pretty fun with just a good set of tires. You're right in the torque sweet spot of the car on most courses. There's not enough wheel for the weight, and the power cut in sweepers likely keeps it from National level competitiveness but the dimensions and wheelbase make it a natural born killer on small local style lots.

nowkent, SE_PDX and SameGuy like this.
  18. Yes, I was not far behind a very consistent 2006 JCW in my first event (he gave me lots of good advice about the course beforehand), and I was on all-season tires. I believe the front tires eventually overheated, and the last run got lots of understeer. Next time I should be on Summer tires, and I will try to measure the corner weights to determine if there is any value messing with that.

Brawndo likes this.
  19. nowkent

nowkent New Member

Look up a video about how to get an I3 into "roller mode" or "dynamometer." The process is the same. Just be careful if you drive it in that. It turns off a lot of the safety stuff.

20. I tried it last year during SCCA races. It gave me more power out of tight turns and the tires were spinning lots, but it also cut the abs completely and I was having a really hard time slowing down in a hurry without locking up, making lots of expensive smoke.
    On another note, I had my 1st event in EVX last Sunday, after lowering on H&R springs and Bilstein B8 shocks in the back. I also mounted 225/45/17 Falken rt615's on Motegi Tracklights 17x8.5 42 et. I had some rubbing in the back and had to cut the plastic wheel well arch and also use some spacers under the spring insulators. Also cambered the rear wheels to the max. I wish I'd gone with less of a drop. Anyway, I came in 1st in EVX class, beating 2 Tesla model 3 performance and a model S plaid! That after being told I wasn't going to be competitive against them when I showed up. Next, I'll be installing adjustable camber plates up front for some negative camber to keep my tires from peeling like last year.

SE_PDX, ghost, JonR and 2 others like this.
  21. SJA

SJA Member

Congrats that is awesome, way to show the Tesla's up.

JonR likes this.
  22. Thanks again for the insights! How bad was it pulling the subframe back rather than dropping with gravity assist? Do you think it would have been much easier on a lift? Also, how floppy was the battery box, like should I be ready with a scissor jack or something to support it while abusing the subframe?

I ordered the 22mm NMeng. bar and Whiteline adjustable links. I did not spring for the grease fitting mounts.