Tires (Summer/Winter/All-Season)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Sep 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Deepak Rao

Deepak Rao Member

My wife just got a new SE which came with Good Year Eagles 205/45/r17 run flats. A friend told me that run flats ride harsh. I feel they do and also seem far noisier than my EV which has Michelin EV specific tyres.

We dont get EV specific tyres in India so the only option available is Michelin and in an upsize of 215/45/r17. The increase in sizes are as follows with a diff in circumference of 1.48%. There is an increase of about 4mm ground clearance which will be good with our roads but will the circumference increase be too much?

Also, would the noise levels be less and the ride smoother? Tyre Upsize 1.jpg

So 3 questions

1. Is the new tyre size within acceptable differences?
    2. Will there be a benefit in noise/ride quality?
    3. How will efficiency be affected?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I've had Pirelli run flats and and Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus in 205/45R17. The Pirelli tires were a bit louder but not much and were a bit harsher but again, not much.

Does it get cold where you live in India? If not, I think you are better off going with 205/45R17 summer tires as they provide the best ride and it is what came on the car in every other market.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The MINI Cooper SEs come to the US with Hankook, Pirelli, or Goodyear non-runflat summer performance tires. They are not EV-specific tires. However, MINI did their research and forum members who have replaced their SE's tires with different brands or models of tire have usually seen a decrease in range.

I so much enjoy the grip of the Hankook Ventus S1 EVO3 tires that I won't be unhappy if they don't last 30,000 miles (48 km). Hopefully, you can order these non-EV tires in India. Those who replaced their OEM summer performance tires with even stickier tires were willing to trade slightly less range for greater grip, but I'm not a good enough driver to take advantage of more grip.

On the other hand, this is your wife's car. If the runflats don't bother her (like her SE's tilted instrument panel doesn't bother her), they do add a measure of convenience.

The big question is why don't you dump your inferior EV and get your own SE? :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  5. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

The Goodyears that came with my SE now have just a tad over 17,000 miles, and my service guy is saying that they already need replacing. For me, the question is long tire wear or long range.

6. Louis W

Louis W Member

Just another data point: after another pinched sidewall on the Hankook evos that left me stranded, I replaced the tires at ~5k miles on my SE with Michelin CrossClimate 2s. Michelin seems to have discontinued the 205/45-17 size in the US, so I replaced them with 215/45-17s instead. Everything seems to be fine, no rubbing, and Discount Tire installed them without further comment.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Louis W

Louis W Member

Just another data point: after another pinched sidewall on the Hankook evos that left me stranded, I replaced the tires at ~5k miles on my SE with Michelin CrossClimate 2s. Michelin seems to have discontinued the 205/45-17 size in the US, so I replaced them with 215/45-17s instead. Everything seems to be fine, no rubbing, and Discount Tire installed them without further comment.

9. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I use the 37% Chinese-owned Pirelli for both summer and winter tires. My summers are 17 inch non-RFT and winters are 16 inch RFTs.

Efficiency wise I would say at least 25% extra range with summer tires over the winter tires or all season tires.

10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

My 2022 SE come with 16” in USA and I enjoy Summer Hankook s and my spirited driving they wearing fast IMG_1107.jpeg

11. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Are you sure they are runflats? Most markets have non-runflats on the SE. The only exception I've heard of is New Zealand.
    ICE mini owners say the ride and noise are improved with non-runflats. I run 16" wheels and tyres as I'm trying to keep my teeth. If you want better ride or your roads are bad, then 16s are the way to go. There is a huge selection of aftermarket wheels for F56 Minis. Here are my beautiful 7x16" BBS with 215/45 tyres

IMG_20231015_102324859.jpg

Efficiency is mostly dependent on rolling resistance, not size. Here in the US, low rolling resistance mini sized tyres are few and far between. Europe has a much better selection. I look at European tyre labels for tyres in both markets. Many performance tyres have very high rolling resistance. My super sticky autocross tyres knock 20% off my range. Michelin make high and low rolling resistance tyres. What are your options? Yokohama v701 are medium rolling resistance and available in our sizes in much of the world.

You may need spacers for 215s, or you may not. My 215 autocross tyres would rub without different offset wheels. The diameter increase is not an issue

insightman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

I run stock 16" summer 'kooks and Nokian WR-G4 for winters. The Nokians are surprisingly close to the 'kooks in most areas other than winter performance. My autocrossing falken rt660s murder range. On a good day, I can get as low as 20 miles. :p

14. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

What size are Nokian WR-G4 for 16” 195/55/16 like Hankooks ? bc I have extra set of 16” with Hankooks take offs for cheap with 3000 miles and I’m driving Hankooks on 16” too now 9000 miles I rotate them but they wear fast bc I’m pushing an SE hard . One day I put WRs on extra rims for SE .I like those WR-G4 on Subaru Forester through last winter and summer they really excellent tires in my opinion .7000 miles no wear .But Subaru is my wife car she drives like old LADY .At list she don’t pay tickets like me 6 speeding tickets in 22 month $50 each speeding cameras .I enjoy SE very much !

15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I inadvertently had the Goodyear Eagle runflats put on at the beginning of the summer (since corrected with non-runflats). Not a bad tire by any means, but there was more noise and less range than the non-runflat Eagles. The SE's suspension is fairly stiff so I don't know if you'll feel the ride is much smoother switching tires. Going to 16" will give more cushion, which may be a bigger difference than going from runflat to non-runflat.

16. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I have driven SEs with the 16" summer Hankooks as well as 16" Continental winters, alongside my 17" Goodyear F1s and 16" Hakka R5 Nordic winters. The Goodyear 17s have much crisper turn-in, more lateral grip, and less sidewall deflection than the Hankook 16s, but my beefy Nokians are somewhat more squirmy than the Contis (though I have no doubt the Hakkas are better winter tires overall).

carrrl and MichaelC like this.
  17. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

I do 16" summer Hankook and 16" winter WRG4 each on their own Victory Spoke - starting to want more performance out the SE. Hankooks were great brand new and have decent life left, but feel like they aren't good performers any more. Dry, flat, solid ground and they seem to struggle for grip, traction control freaking out.

Switching over to larger wheels and tires isn't cheap. Sounds like the 17" + F1s feel better, but do they struggle in the same way? Just FWD problems?

SameGuy likes this.
  18. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Larger wheels and tires are also heavier, and while the difference isn't huge, most of that mass is further from the various moments. It is noticeable. I find I can immediately feel the difference the lighter 16s make, even with meaty winter tires, but the advantage is negated at the first hard turn. If Michelin make a PS4 in 195/50-16 that might be the best all-around summer setup for spirited driving.

Rexsio likes this.
  19. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I weighed my mounted wheels, fairly big difference:

39.4 lbs. 17" Power Spoke w/ Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 (21 lbs. tire)
    33.2 lbs. 16" Spectre Grey Revolite w/ Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 (21 lbs. tire)​

I believe those are the lightest wheel rims available for the SE.

dGarry48 and SameGuy like this.
  20. dGarry48

dGarry48 Member

That's a huge difference. My friend is debating on getting 17" wheels. He just got cooper evo tires and 18" kmc wheels for his truck and now looking for a winter set for his Cooper SE.

21. ghost

ghost Active Member

I remember looking for the PS4 in 16", and I don't think they're available.

22. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Shop in Phoenix AZ. IMG_1190.jpeg

23. ghost

ghost Active Member

The all season tread is very different.