California suspends GM Cruise

Discussion in 'General' started by marshall, Oct 24, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. dGarry48

dGarry48 Member

Hope they will build a better team to make that system works.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I have a candidate: https://dawnproject.com/about-our-founder/

Dan is the world’s leading expert in creating software that never fails and can’t be hacked. Dan created the secure operating systems for projects including Boeing’s 787s, Lockheed Martin’s F-35 Fighter Jets, the Boeing B1-B Intercontinental Nuclear Bomber, and NASA’s Orion Crew Exploration Vehicle.

Dan has been a pioneer of making safety-critical software systems unhackable since his days at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech). Dan graduated from Caltech in 1976 with a Bachelors of Science in Engineering. Now Dan is a recipient of the Caltech Distinguished Alumni Award, which is the highest honorary which Caltech bestows upon a graduate. It was at Caltech that his passion for computers began to flourish.

Since he claims to be a 'billionaire', he can work cheap. I know, make his compensation proportional to self-driving miles of his code. Say $0.01/mi per self-driving miles minus $1.00 per disengagement.

Dan is a notorious critic of Tesla self-driving software.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    dGarry48 likes this.
  4. dGarry48

dGarry48 Member

It would be interesting if Dan would step up for this.

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

GM Cruise seems to have been relying on remote piloting instead of being truly autonomous, which is essentially using human passengers as crash test dummies during development. This seems to me like more callous Silicon Valley "TechBro" exploitation.

Cruise AV Operations Require 1.5 Remote Employees Per Vehicle, Report Claims

According to a report from The New York Times, Cruise AV units required 1.5 remote workers per vehicle, who intervened with the robotaxis every 2.5 to five miles to assist them. More specifically, the operators had to frequently step in to remotely control a Cruise AV unit after receiving a signal that it was having issues.​

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

So basically the claim that the Cruise vehicles were self-driving was a fraud. On average, simply driving from one side of San Francisco (a very compact city) to the other would have taken at least one human intervention and maybe 2 or 3. "Self-driving" my ***. And yet they were allowed on California streets for how long?!?!?

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I don't think we have enough information about what Cruise was doing. They obviously had a higher ratio of staff to vehicles ... not a good thing. But the high staff to vehicle ratio is not encouraging.

Tesla has a ridiculously low ratio of staff to AutoPilot and even purchased Full Self Driving. With video feedback to the developers, Tesla developers have a flood of data from pretty well everywhere Teslas drive. There is even a 'stealth' copy running in the background tracking driver actions versus self-driving predicted actions. These all send feedback to the developer team(s).

Bob Wilson