From EV to ICE and back to EV...

Discussion in 'General' started by miatadan, Sep 15, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Have not been on this forum since last year sometime.

Last year April 2022 purchased 2022 Mustang Mach-E Select ( base RWD with no additional options. Later sold it at a profit.

Later that year in November , purchase 2022Mazda MX5 GT ( Miata )

Traded it in for another EV, 2023 Mazda MX30 GT in same Soul Red Crystal Metallic but as multi-tone paint / roof section different colour.

Missed the smoothness, quiet interior and 1 pedal driving. With $9600 in discounts/rebate my payments will actually be lower than on the Miata even after the trade-in loss.

Yes, I know this EV as been regarded as " Worst EV of the year by Out of Spec Reviews " but my final purchase price turned out to be $2000 more than the 2023 CX30 GT compact suv before tax. Also saved on tax as you pay difference on tax from the trade in.

One aspect about range ratings that confuse me is that the European rating system gives higher numbers than the rating system in North America. So which is really correct? Be nicer if it is closer 200kms ( Europe rating vs 161 kms rating here.

My distance to work and back is roughly 2 kms. Rarely do more than 40 kms to work.

Interior, Bose 12 speaker stereo much nicer than what I had in Select version of the Mach-E.
    Also did not have the power folding mirrors , memory seats or Hud display on the Mach-E.

comments or views on this?

Dan

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The European ranges, which have the designation WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicles Test Procedure) are generally more optimistic than the ones the EPA publishes. The EPA ones are generally more realistic, but range can't be pinned down to a specific number, because it can vary widely depending on how people drive and the terrain and environmental conditions. None of the procedures which set official range numbers are especially good, though. We really need to improve how we test, so people can have a more accurate expectation. For some EVs, the range can drop considerably in cold conditions and that's not really visible to consumers with any of the ratings.

All that to say, the most accurate range figure is the one you come to looking at you average efficiency, and then extrapolating that data to a full charge worth of driving. So for instance, if a car indicates it's averaging 3 miles per kWh, you can multiply 3 by the number of kWh in the pack and there's your average range.

Finally, congrats on your car. I also wrote a pretty harsh review of the MX-30, but mostly because it was too expensive for the range it offered. I think it looks pretty good from the outside, and I really liked the interior. The dynamics weren't particularly sporty, though, but it's not a total dog.

electriceddy and miatadan like this.
  4. miatadan

Here in Canada before the $5000 federal rebate and tax. Ford Mustang Mach-E Select $59700 and the Mazda MX30 GT $46013. There is $13777 between these 2 EV's. Hard to justify the price difference for mostly more range.

Dan

Domenick likes this.
  5. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Cool! That’s a rare EV, how do you like it?

There are advantages to a smaller battery if you don’t need the range. My daily driver is a Mini SE (110 miles, not much more than the Mazda).

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

electriceddy, miatadan and Domenick like this.
  6. miatadan

I actually pick up the Mazda EV this coming Wednesday . Will post later once I have it. I liked the freestyle/suicide doors as it makes it look more coupe like. Plan on using auto hold function as I read it is not true 1 pedal driving. When I looked at the vehicle ( it had just arrived at dealership ) I liked the 360 view camera showed front of vehicle which for me is good as it will prevent hitting concrete curbs in parking lot in front of vehicle. Loved the HUD stuff and interior quality with multi-tone colors is nice. Stereo is much better than what was in Select trim of the Mach-E.

Dan

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Even what some consider a poor EV is more fun than an ICE. Enjoy!!

Bob Wilson

9. miatadan

IMG_2234.JPG

One of my favourite features is front camera view when parking with concrete curb in parking lot.

Dan

10. miatadan

IMG_2240.JPG IMG_2238.JPG

Some interior photos, I find it nicer than what I had in Mach-E

Dan

electriceddy and bwilson4web like this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I found the Mach-E felt like being in a foxhole. Not my style either.

Bob Wilson

miatadan likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. The interior does look very nice and a very good value. Look forward to some more reviews.

insightman and miatadan like this.
  14. @miatadan welcome back. This article generally explains the differences in test procedures and results, without getting too nerdy about it.
    https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/electric-vehicle-range-testing-understanding-nedc-vs-wltp-vs-epa
    For me, I have learned that how far I actually drive my EV's is mainly dependent on how fast I drive them. The range I get is more like WLTP around town and a little below EPA on interstate driving. From summer 2018 to fall 2022 we had a Smart fortwo ED (EPA rating 58 miles) and Ford Focus Electric (115 EPA) that met our driving needs. I had a 3 mile commute for work and now I work from home. With minor changes in habits and road trip planning we were fine. We still have a Smart and the FFE was replaced by a Mach E last fall.

miatadan likes this.
  15. miatadan

Last spring I had the Mach-E Select base RWD without additional options but was not happy with stereo system. Looking back, maybe should have kept it but sold it at a profit. In Canada , prices much higher for EV's in general. The price I ended up paying for the 2023 Mazda MV-30 GT was only $401 more than the base 2023 Nissan Leaf SV ( with 40KW battery ) which has better range but I feel everything else about the Mazda MX-30 is better than the 2023 Nissan Leaf SV.

The longest distance I hoped to go from my address is the Provincial Park, just outside of Parry Sound which is 178 kms or Ivy charging station Parrysound ( 172 kms ) This is the reason between wondering about the WLTP and EPA difference.

Dan

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    andyG59 likes this.
  16. I'm happy when anyone gets an EV that fits their preferences, needs, and use cases. Oooh boy. Based on looking at Plugshare that is a long stretch with almost no charging in-between, but hopefully driving slower (to go farther) is an option.

GetOffYourGas and miatadan like this.
  17. miatadan

I will drive around town, to see what my range is until it shows 2 % left on energy level left. Petro Canada EV station Parry Sound is 156 kms.

Dan

andyG59 likes this.
  18. JessicaMartell

JessicaMartell New Member

Thanks for the info.

19. dGarry48

dGarry48 Member

Nice interior and good sound system!

20. HaydenB

HaydenB New Member

What are your impressions right now? I'm considering this car for myself.

21. miatadan

Sorry for late reply, health issues.
    So far colder weather has not affected range much but only down to -5 C , 0 C so far with some snow. If I turn on electric heat, than lose approximately 30 kms so normally just use heated steering wheel, and heated seats.

I do miss pure one pedal driving of the Mach-E.
    The better stereo, hud, interior, quietness much better in the MX-30

Dan

electriceddy and GetOffYourGas like this.
  22. How long do you think you will keep this car?

23. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Fortunately, Mazda graced the MX-30 with a heat pump to stretch the range when you decide to heat the cabin rather than rely on the heated seats and steering wheel in cold weather.

Now that you've had yours for a while, do you agree with the InsideEVs' review of the 2021 MX-30? As a MINI Cooper SE driver, I'm happy to trade long range for light weight, so I discount the reviewer's complaint about the MX-30's limited range. I'm very happy to also have a heat pump.