Back in a Kona..

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ericy, Oct 25, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Some of you long timers may remember that in the olden days I had a 2019 Kona, and ... it didn't end well. I ended up with an ID.4 for myself.

But my wife just bought (leased) a 2023 Kona EV, so we are now a 2-EV family. It has been about 3 years since I spent any time in a Kona - in some ways it seems sort of familiar, but there have been some changes as well in the intervening years.

The dealer had cut about 5k$ from the price to move them off the lot since the 2024 models are due soon.

We will apparently be getting a ChargePoint EVSE for home, which we don't need since I already have the JuiceBox (it is installed in a location where either one of us can easily charge without moving any of the cars). So I will have to decide what to do with the new one once that thing arrives, but I will likely end selling one of the two. They mentioned something about a credit to have an electrician install an outlet - don't know how that works, but since we don't need the outlet, I probably won't be able to claim that.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Chargepoint (Home Flex I assume?) is a good unit at least. I guess it comes with the vehicle as an incentive or something?

mtd likes this.
  4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I believe that's the case. They had several installed at the dealership. It is probably a better incentive than handing out free charging at Electrify America, but it only works for people that have a garage or an outdoor location where they can install the thing.

The Juicebox app got kind of messed up when they redid it for no good reason. I guess that's the only thing that would get me to consider switching.

5. Welcome back, hope this one works better for your family. I had some issues with my 2019 MY as well but none on my 21MY. Sounds like you received a good discount as well, congratulations.:)

6. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

JFC. Had the car 3 days, and a BMS update.

It was a BMS update that bricked my 2019. Screenshot_20231028_131311_MyHyundai.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Inside EVs mobile app

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Guess it was too much to ask that they take care of that before letting the vehicle off the lot. *shrug*

ericy likes this.
  9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

So my wife gets a call from a dealer. There is a problem at Hyundai Motor Finance. Turns out the *minimum* lease payment is 200$/mo, and we were below that (probably because of the $7500 + trade-in + their own 5k$ price cut). So they are not only going to refund the deposit we put down, but also give us a check for 1000$. I am scratching my head on this one, but if the check clears, I guess it is all good.

In other news, there is a post-purchase EV credit of $2500 that we can get from the state for buying an EV. Just a little paperwork, and another check comes in the mail..

electriceddy likes this.
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

After receiving the unexpected refund and check, did your lease payment increase to satisfy the $200 minimum?

11. I was excited to P/U my new AWD Ionic 5 tomorrow.
    Today I got an e-mail:
    " Our detail shop just ran the side of the Ionic 5 down the corner of the building...it's pretty messed up...":(
    So, I too am back in my Kona

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

upload_2024-1-20_1-31-49.png

Was the word "discount" mentioned after the prediction for the time-to-repair?

14. Yes, a HUGE discount might make up for it. As long as the damage was just cosmetic.

And what happened to the worker that caused this?

15. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

It depends a lot on how bad the damage was. I would have someone look it over closely before they attempt any repairs.