Clunk noise on acceleration...

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SameGuy, Oct 23, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Starting yesterday, my car lets out a clunking noise from somewhere below the dashboard/center console after every stop and start. Living in the suburbs where the stop signs are about 100 yards apart, this is very disconcerting. It doesn't matter the rate at which I accelerate, if I come to a full stop – whether using the brake pedal or regenerative braking – the moment I touch the go pedal there's a clunk. Anybody have any ideas what it might be before I call the dealership to make an appointment?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Does it also clunk when you go over bumps? I'd guess a loose front sway bar but there's not enough detail.

4. SameGuy

YUL
    Nope. Definitely only related to acceleration after slowing to a stop (or a crawl). Repeated. Hobby-horsing with the right pedal doesn't produce the noise, unless I take it down to that crawling speed. It almost sounds like a sticking brake pad, but it happens using regen or the brake pedal.

5. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I think the car may lightly apply the brakes at a full stop, even if you used regen to stop. My evidence is the fact that it doesn’t roll when stopped on an incline. Slight torque from the motor would also work but the brakes make more sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

SE will never roll backwards (technically opposite of current gear), but it will definitely roll forward if you don't engage the brake. I'm pretty sure the backwards hold is done by the regen braking.

CuriousGeorge and GetOffYourGas like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

It might if it is steep enough. But there are plenty of cases where a manual car will roll forward in neutral and the SE will not. So there is some amount of forward hold. Maybe that’s from the motor too.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. Puppethead

I just tested in both forward and reverse, my SE will not roll "backwards" from the gear I'm in but does indeed roll "forward". My tests were on a slight grade (max 10%), but I've been on steep inclines and the SE holds. Mine is a 2021 year, it's possible behavior changed somewhat due to the great supply chain shortages with later models.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I don’t know your milages but could happen to any car with any miles did you think about axle . Raise a car both front wheels put on Neutral and turn a wheels forward and backwards by hands and the same time check brake pads if they sit correctly no broken shims or tensions springs.If you apply brakes in low speed they shouldn’t make any clunky noise bc caliper pistons squeeze every thing tightly only an AXLE make noise what you describe try also drive on reverse to replicate that noise if is there,or you have loose towing hook in glove compartment just for joke!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  11. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I bet it is a motor mount that has failed. That is a common issue for the F56 and also for the i3.

Come to a full stop on a hill and apply the brake fully. After a moment, release the brake. The car will roll backwards slowly.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Nope. My SE will NOT roll backward after a stop but will roll forward, even on a very slight grade. My previous ICE Minis would do the same thing.

CuriousGeorge likes this.
  14. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

I had a noise like this. It was the lower motor mount.

SameGuy and JonR like this.
  15. SameGuy

YUL
    Maybe I'm misinformed, but wasn't the cage around the motor module essentially designed to use the ICE mount positions?

16. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I should clarify. It will roll back a little bit and then stop again. It is a little unnerving and not like a typical hill assist in a manual transmission car.

17. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

The electric drivetrain and controls units are build as a sub-assembly inside a protective cage made of high-strength tubular steel that’s bolts up into the same mounting points used for internal combustion driveline .This not only provides excellent crash protection but efficiencies in manufacturing and servicing the vehicle components.You not misinformed you just right .

18. Puppethead

I tried this (probably for the first time ever). Indeed when stopped and I use the friction brakes it seems to disengage the regenerative hold. When I took my foot off the brakes it did roll back slightly until the regenerative hold took place again. I'd never experienced this because I almost never use my friction brakes.

19. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The brake lights don't come on when the regen braking is keeping the SE from rolling backwards in drive or rolling forwards when in reverse. I believe this proves the the motor, not the brakes is used to prevent the SE from rolling.

Puppethead likes this.
  20. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

The hold is a bit weird. I find that if regen to a stop, it will hold if on a moderate incline. But if it's a very gentle incline, that's when it lets go and I start to creep forwards. No idea what the brake lights are doing. They are triggered in normal driving by both pedal and regen, they do whatever Mini wants them to.

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I installed an interior brake LED that I can see in my rear-view mirror. The brake lights come on when the brake pedal is pressed and when the E-power/Charge gauge needle touches the first yellow Charge block. I can tell the brake lights remain off while the motor is keeping my SE from rolling on an incline.

upload_2023-10-26_23-18-28.png

22. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Did you solve that clunking noise will be interesting what was?