2022 Mini SE - In Focus: Active Grill Shutters

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Oct 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Show him this thread, perhaps your dealer will then add it to their PDI!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Your video shows the upper corner of the frame as being cracked. Didn't happen to hit a bird or squirrel by any chance.

4. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Not that I know of. And the tech who repaired it did not tell me it was cracked. But the assembly still feels solid.

5. If you look at the video, you will only notice it when you push on the bottom. But at the top corner at the radius the crack looks to open. When it is not pushed back, the crack closes and is barely visible.

6. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I don't think that is a crack. I think that is the rubber surround that deflects air but I could be wrong.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

My AGS on delivery just under a year ago - I was able to get it reseated, so I thought.

It was very loose again so while my car was in getting the glovebox LED strip replaced (left side had the red channel on since delivery) I had them check the AGS.

They found no damage, just loose. The tech said the bottom is kind of finicky to get on the rail it engages (I haven't seen that part myself) but he said he knew how to do it properly and was able to.

Time will tell.

SameGuy likes this.
  9. GFP

GFP New Member

Mini arrived a month ago and has the same problem, loose on the passenger side. It's still happening apparently. Mini Yours version if it makes a difference

10. Green Gatsby

Green Gatsby Member

Mine had this issue as well, took deliver in December of last year. Had it fixed at the dealership without issue!

Wouldn't have known to even check if it weren't for this thread.

11. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

This is crazy. For two years now this same problem has been popping up. I would presume that the smartest people at MINI already know about the Internet, and would have heard of brand Forums. Or maybe not?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Dealer service departments get reimbursed for the warranty repairs they perform. I would assume the reimbursement request would include a report describing the problem. Perhaps the person who installs the shutters is a member of the plant manager's extended family.

14. Nav

Nav New Member

I had to remove this from my 2023 Mini Cooper SE L3 (Mini Yours) as it was catching on the new JCW bumper. 2 easy removable screws on the black frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. EricJ

EricJ New Member

My '23 has been loose on the passenger side for some time--noticed it while washing the car this past summer. No sign of any impact, and it's really not our highway car. I thought it might be the Boeing problem--soemone forgot a fastener--but the finicky channel thing also makes sense. Nice to know the dealer takes car of it!

16. Steve Hardman

Steve Hardman New Member

17. Steve Hardman

Steve Hardman New Member

Did it throw an error code now it’s disconnected?

18. Nav

Nav New Member

Thankfully not. I sold the car to Saxton4x4 and it's been on sale for the past 6 weeks. I guess no one likes the JCW front end :/ I might buy it back at this rate. My sister sold her Mini convertible exclusive petrol 2 weeks after me, and it was sold by Saxton4x4 in under 1 week! I still have the BEV front bumper, active grille and foam guard that goes behind the bumper to protect against shocks.

19. Steve Hardman

Steve Hardman New Member

yours look amazing though, it’s just because it’s an EV that no one had bought it.
    In a way that’s a pity-as I don’t know if the previous owner who fitted the JCW front end to mine either had plugged the shutters in to the loom or if it works or not.
    This is mine.
    I swapped my 2018 LCI JCW for it as I just couldn’t drive it how it should be and the mpg was rubbish for what I used it for!
    This is way more fun, I’ve had a I3s a few years ago so they are similar.
    The shutter flaps look half open when it’s switched off and I’m not bothered really too much

Attached Files:

20. Nav

Nav New Member

You're so right, I've been watching Saxton4x4's Mini page and they've sold quite a few ICE Mini JCW's in the past 6 weeks. Miss my car like crazy! I'm getting around on an ebike but I miss my creature comforts like a heated seat and lumber support backrest, as well as the thumping HK speakers.

Unfortunately, the reason I had to sell was because I didn't want to drive 2 different Mini EV's with a vast difference in range, got the 2024 Cooper SE Sport on a lease but the factory order won't be delivered until Oct 2024 :( Which means no summer fun and long road trips. I really hope the acceleration lift in sport mode is the same as my previous Mini EV, so addictive!!!!!!!

Your car looks even better in silver! You could do a road legal version of the Mini Pacesetter ;) If you ever think about doing the rear JCW on your car, I've got 2 JCW LCI2 rear bumpers for sale, a red one and a midnight black. Very cheap to respray to silver.

Basically, the shutters remain open when the car is turned on and not moving, it only activates when you drive 20mph+. This video should help you understand better

21. Steve Hardman

Steve Hardman New Member

I’ve got this being delivered tomorrow, need to blank the exhaust hole and have it departed silver white plus I’ve got some new alloys and I’m lowering it on H&R springs so it doesn’t roll as much.
    The J01 2024 Cooper SE will be like night and day to this model in terms of range but I think similar in acceleration.
    Pricey though

Attached Files:

22. Steve Hardman

Steve Hardman New Member

By the way-I wish I knew you had the bumpers for sale! How much out of interest?

23. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I don't know what a "2024 Cooper SE Sport" is. Do you live in a country where the J01 MINI Cooper SE will be delivered this year or are you getting the 2025 MINI Countryman SE (which MINI isn't calling a "Cooper")? If it's the latter, the Countryman's 313 HP should provide plenty of acceleration.

SameGuy likes this.