Android Phone Pairing

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Racejoe, Oct 10, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Racejoe

Racejoe Member

I have what is probably a dumb question. I promise I tried searching for this topic.

I am an android phone user (Samsung Galaxy A52) that I pair to my MINI. I can make and receive calls, stream music, etc.

What I don't get is text messages popping up on the center display. HOWEVER, if my son is in the car, and his phone pairs as phone #2 (also a Samsung, a more premium model), his text messages show up on the center display?

What am I missing here? Can I make my messages appear on the center screen?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

I am an iOS user but pretty familiar with Android. Make sure when you're connected to the car, only your phone is. MINI has a real hard time with more than 1 known device let alone 2 nearby paired devices. If at all possible, remove all but the primary device. This impacts Android and iOS equally, it's really a MINI problem not any one platform/device.

Next check the phone. In your bluetooth settings, find the car connection, make sure permissions allow "Contact access" and "Message access". Now check the MINI side. Should be under something like: My MINI > System settings > Mobile devices > Settings and make sure Office is checked.

Another thing I'd check - are you both using the same messaging app? Is it actually going through SMS or possibly some other data bound service?

After all that, there might be a slight chance the phone just doesn't support it. I believe "Bluetooth MAP" is the feature that allows the car to send/receive messages. It's an old standard and most in the last ~10 years should have it. Interestingly my Pixel (under Developer settings) mentions MAP, but my Samsung A50 does not. I can't really test it since my Android's don't have service.

Racejoe likes this.
  4. Darrell Hayes

Darrell Hayes Member

I get sms but not mms, which is annoying since 99% of the texts I get are mms. I have an LG G8.

Racejoe likes this.
  5. Racejoe

Racejoe Member

Thanks!!