HV Range Fix is out and ready for dealer install

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by KentuckyKen, Jun 20, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

Great. That used to exist. It was good to know how long it would take.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

I also still get a notification when the charge is finished.

edit: I'm on Android.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  4. vicw

vicw Active Member

Me too. I'm on Android HondaLink Version 3.6.0, and HV Range Fix is installed

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Thanks insightman, vicw, and loomis2 for the info that you are still getting the stopped charge notification. That will help me trouble shoot. Maybe I unplugged too soon right after ChargePoint app stopped charging notification and didn’t give HL time to do it. I’ve also had a possibly related problem that the car sometimes was not giving the ChargePoint EVSE the signal to stop charging and then the CP app notifies me that the car is taking very little charge and may be done. No harm done but it throws off the CP tracking data on hours charged.

6. vicw

vicw Active Member

@KentuckyKen Are you seeing the report of the time when charging stopped in the HondaLink app itself?

My charging is usually in the late night hours, and I may or may not be awake at that moment to be aware, or check it immediately. I just checked the Notification History on my phone, and it shows the same timestamp of the Notification from HondaLink this morning, as is shown in the app itself - both at 1:59 AM, so it looks like it was virtually instantaneous.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

Thanks so much. I looked in phone notifications and there it was from the last charge and with same time as ChargePoint notification. So I am getting it, but not the time to complete charge just like everyone else. My bad, my tech support teenage grew up and flew the coup on me.

9. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

I opened a ticket for a different matter. Got an email back but no follow up.

10. loomis2

@KentuckyKen I thought the app gave the stopped charging notification even if it stopped prematurely, so when you unplugged it should have given you the message regardless.

11. KentuckyKen

loomis2, I watched it very closely tonight and HL did indeed give me the charging stopped notification at 1:42 and HL app shows it charged at 100%/fully charged. Went out to car and green led at car charging port was off, but CP EVSE blinked blue (charging) for another minute and then went solid Blue (plugged in). I noticed the CP app lagging behind real-time by several minutes but when it caught up, the graph showed 0kW at 1:43, but kept recording at this power level. Then at 1:57 I get a text msg from CP that “the vehicle is drawing very little power and may be through charging”. Graph still running. Go out and unplug from car and graph stops and CP EVSE turns to solid green (ready to charge).
    Called CP and tech support accessed my stored data and said the CP EVSE did not get the signal from the car that charging was over.
    Well it must be getting the signal to taper down the charge at the appropriate time to virtually 0 and it’s indicator les goes from charging to plugged in status.
    So HL is working (miss that time to full
    charge though) but somethings amiss with how the car and CP EVSE communicate. Or something. Sigh...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. loomis2

I would just go by the HL app and when it says it is done charging it is probably done charging. Unless you think it ended way sooner than it should have.

14. Wayne Wilson

Wayne Wilson Member

Does this software update only fix the HV range? I wonder about the MPG calculations the car does when using trip recording. It seems to assume that electricity is free and thus if you run on pure EV, the car says you are getting 199 mpg.

15. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

I have a question for those that have had this update. We just had it done and we went in with a 1,000 mile HV range (full tank and almost a full charge) and left the dealership with a 1,000 mile HV range.

Shouldn’t the drop to a range of about 350 miles occur immediately after the update? The dealership had no idea and only said the ‘update took’. I’m a bit skeptical and disappointed.

16. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

Getting mine done today. Will report back.

17. vicw

vicw Active Member

My case was about the same as yours (full tank & almost full charge) , and my reported HV mileage dropped from 999 miles prior to the update to 357 immediately afterward. I think Kentucky Ken had the same result. I don't know if there is a way to verify whether or not the fix was installed, though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

18. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

On an iPhone it is easy to find out the current software build. Settings > About > Version: 11.4.1 (15G5054c). Wouldn't it be nice if we could do that for cars?

19. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

So after speaking to Honda Corporate, we returned to the dealer this afternoon. I told them that Honda indicated the fix should be immediately obvious. So they tried it again, this time taking about 90 minutes. They said this time the software indicated something about the ‘meter’ which they didn’t see before.

The bottom line is that this time it worked. Hooray! My HV range went from 1000 to 357 miles.

20. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

Got mine done too. Tech said "some other software" was done as well. And, dealers get many updates per week, and more are being tested.

21. vicw

vicw Active Member

I noticed one other minor difference in my Clarity behavior that may, or may not, be just a coincidence. Before the HV Range Fix, when I backed out of the garage, the backup camera display would invariably be very dark, as it detecting nighttime, so that I couldn't really see anything, until I was completely away from the garage, when it would switch and display the camera brightly.

Now, the camera display consistently shows brightly, from beginning to end. Maybe the installer just inadvertently changed a screen option that had nothing to do with the fix, but I'm pleased with the result, so no problem, just find it curious that it changed as it did, and I wonder if anyone else encountered the same change.

22. dstrauss

dstrauss Well-Known Member

My dealer didn't have the software update today - he also told me I am STILL the only Clarity sold at our dealership:eek:

23. vicw

vicw Active Member

Congrats, and welcome to the highly esteemed '357' club. It's lovely here. Mine has worked its way down to 340 today, after some HV Mode driving. The next big item of interest will be what happens with the next gas fill up. I just hope it will not spring up to an unrealistic range again.

Ken7 likes this.