Next generation (J01) MINI Cooper revealed

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fishbert, Sep 1, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Patrick drumm

Patrick drumm Member

I was looking at the mini uk and de websites. Once I figured out how to access the the page showing the trim levels I was surprised to see a jwc .is it just a style package or the real thing?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Motoring File explains it's a trim package, not a performance package. I think it's a mistake on MINI's part. A JCW MINI should be easy to identify as the real deal. There are other ways to spiff up a regular MINI without making it look like more than what it really is. Even Chevy refrained from making a Camaro SS with a 6-cylinder engine.

JCW Trim
    Similar to BMW’s M Sport trim, MINI will offer a JCW Trim even on non JCWs. The JCW Trim has a distinctive front and rear design. The frame of the front grille and the logo in high-gloss black are unique to this trim. Additionally the JCW Trim will offer a Chili Red roof for the first time on a non-JCW car. Finally JCW bonnet stripes will be offered in Chili Red or black. Inside, the JCW Trim offers multi-colored knitted textile and black synthetic leather with red stitching.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
    turbofuzzy and MichaelC like this.
  4. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

Man, I still miss the center speedo on my old R56. That thing had a retro-cool vibe, and was lovely.

[​IMG]

Pennyworth likes this.
  5. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I discovered quite early in the game that one could read my '03 speedometer from the vehicle behind (as seen from my van as my girlfriend was driving my Mini).

6. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

... to be made in the UK.
    More articles here.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Time horizon seems pretty far out to me, my SE is already three years old and what if I want something more modern? I also wonder if SE sales will crash when people realize there's a better MINI Cooper EV in the world, just not in North America.

9. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

j01gif - Copy.gif j012 - Copy.gif

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
  10. Patrick drumm

Patrick drumm Member

It is really frustrating that mini won’t say what the official plan for usa market is. I don’t think people realize how cheap it is to manufacture cars in China. If bmw is smart they will absorb the tax and bring this car to the usa next year. If we have to wait till 2027 the mini brand becomes irrelevant. I don’t think mini or their dealers can afford to leave this segment vacant for so long. If you compare other Chinese cars the new se is probably really a 25000 car so bmw has room to juggle the numbers. Even if they don’t make any money on it it would be a wise move to have a fluid transition from old se to new one. Could that be why bmw and mini are keeping their mouths shut. They don’t want to tank sales of current se.

11. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Eh, the new electric Countryman will be more popular anyway. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Qisl and CuriousGeorge like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    The head of MINI North America last week said to expect an announcement in the fourth quarter that should please us.

14. SW19

SW19 New Member

I definitely prefer the current design.New car doesn’t look as sporty from the front without the hood bulge.Rear taillight design also looks terrible.What's with the new shape?I don’t know why BMW would mess with such a radical design change.They shouldn’t mess around with key design elements.

15. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

It's what they like to do these days.
    [​IMG]

16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I don't remember anyone posting this yet, but if so my apologies.

MINI UK has the official models of the J01 online, ready for reservations. Includes a configurator, I'm not sure how I feel about the "4-Square Spoke" wheels and "Sunny Side Yellow" body color.

MichaelC likes this.
  17. endquote

endquote Active Member

Looks like there's no real black color? Maybe that'll come along before the US release.

18. insightman

Will MINI will be able to stay in business without the income from selling black waistline trim kits for $550?

19. teslarati97

I can't find the original article but essentially black trim pieces on BMW vehicle distribution centers are retrofitted port side. That is, the chrome trim is ripped out and black trim is attached (also goes the same for ///M performance parts). So MINI will make money because they don't need someone port side to rip out the chrome and put on the black waistline kit (and recycle the chrome plastic parts).

The closest thing that is quoted was:
    After waiting in line and having had some, but not all, of their protective film and other materials removed, the cars receive the real work . Vehicles are given a brief but thorough inspection, while things like manuals, miscellaneous documentation, and simple accessories such as first-aid kits are loaded in their appropriate places. The process obviously differs for special-order cars, which have their so-called “port- installed” options fitted here. In this part of the facility, you’ll find bins filled with plastic waste like brand-new kidney grilles which have been broken in preparation for destruction and recycling, after being replaced with an M Performance set. Things like splitters, carbon-fiber bits, and various other offerings of the BMW M Performance catalog are also installed, in addition to vinyl graphics and smaller additions like door-edge protection film.

20. insightman

Have any forum members had the black waistline trim installed at the port? Every report I can remember of entails buying the ultra-expensive trim pieces from places like ECS Tuning and installing them at home.

I don't know anything about J01 MINI options, but I'll be flabbergasted if stripes cannot be ordered. Will they still be installed at the port?

teslarati97 likes this.
  21. teslarati97

BMWs get the black trim installed portside, and the second-class MINIs have to do it themselves since 2021. As for J01, I don't know if it's even going to make it to the US.

22. insightman

BMW's re-fitting Plant Oxford to make the J01, and that may be the J01 coming to the US. However, it seems to me it will cost more to build the J01 in the UK than in China. Which will cost more, building the J01 in the UK (with a 2.5% US import tariff) or paying the steep 27.5% US import tariff on Chinese vehicles?

Other than in the UK, exactly where will it make financial sense to sell Plant Oxford J01s in the post-Brexit era? Probably not even in Canada.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023