Texas will charge EV owners an extra $200 to make up for lost gas tax revenue

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by BostonSE, Sep 7, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. To remove this ad click here.

2. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Michigan charges $148 extra for my SE EV and $54 extra for my Clarity PHEV. Makes the $15 for personalized plates seem trivial. I don't know why those extra fees and taxes say "Passenger"--are those charges "passengers" riding with the regular registration charges?

upload_2023-9-7_12-2-27.png

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'd say likely "passenger vehicle" classification. Minnesota still charges a low $75 EV surcharge; a proposal to raise it to $229 (the average road tax paid by ICE vehicles apparently) made in 2021 didn't get adopted.

CrazyLegs17 and insightman like this.
  4. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE - Section 257.801
    (7) Beginning January 1, 2017, the registration fee imposed under this section for a vehicle using 4 or more tires is increased as follows:
    (a) If the vehicle is a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, the registration fee for that vehicle is increased by $30.00 for a vehicle with an empty weight of 8,000 pounds or less, and $100.00 for a vehicle with an empty weight of more than 8,000 pounds. ...
    (b) If the vehicle is an electric vehicle, the registration fee for that vehicle is increased by $100.00 for a vehicle with an empty weight of 8,000 pounds or less, and $200.00 for a vehicle with an empty weight of more than 8,000 pounds. ...​

Pretty sure they're calling the < 8000 lbs vehicles 'passenger'.

States fund road works with gas taxes, and EVs aren't paying their fair share, so I have no problem with states implementing other avenues to collect funds from EV owners. My one gripe is that these sorts of registration taxes & fees are not usage-based, while gas taxes are.

ghost, Qisl and insightman like this.
  5. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

NH is starting to charge $100 for an EV and $50 for plug in hybrid. We only drive maybe 2500 miles a year (stored in winter), so it hardly seems fair... it seems that annual miles are recorded as part of the safety inspection and they could easily use that to more fairly distribute the tax burden.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. ghost

ghost Active Member

I don't mind paying either. What I can't stand is people who live in our state, but register their cars out of state through a vacation home or a friend's/relative's bc it's cheaper to register there.

marshall likes this.
  8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Have any of these states started charging non-smokers a clean air tax yet? Gimme a break.

9. moofpup

moofpup Active Member

NC charged me $140.25

10. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

That's dumb. At $0.405/gallon for NDCOR, that's like 346 gallons of gas or 10,380 annual miles at 30MPG.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. fasttr

fasttr Member

And in Texas we can’t even use the HOV lanes. Stupid….

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

F14Scott likes this.