Next generation (J01) MINI Cooper revealed

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fishbert, Sep 1, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I predict Bimmercode won't work on the J01, at least not the version of Bimmercode we have.

Perhaps there's a GWMmercode app already available in China?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Let's hope they start working on that 長城汽車code app. Next I am going to figure out what this BMW Heart of Joy is for Neue Klasse. Chances are the ECUs are going to get consolidated and the J01 is just a stop-gap.

4. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

The current MINI SE seems to hide the Front Wheel Drive characteristic pretty well. I have been driving my Cross Turismo for a few days. The initial handling feel doesn't deviate from the SE much. Wonder how the new MINI E will feel like.

5. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Thanks, hadn't heard of that before.

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I doubt GWM had anything to do with the software, from what I've seen it feels like German coding. Also basing on Android seems very European.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

That's impressive if the handling of your 4949.4-lb Cross Turismo feels like an SE.

9. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

Great point, I have a bunch of Bimmercode changes and I would sure hate to have all of those warnings back again.

10. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

Perhaps some of the powertrain-specific modules will be Chinese (maybe)... but with how similar they're making the "feel" of the J01 with the gas-powered models, I'd guess the modules that most folks are interested in touching will still be BMW and code-able (or, will be when updated configuration files get pushed out).

11. fishbert

An EV-specific platform allows more efficient space utilization to fit a larger battery... but I don't know where weight savings would come from. Not enough to offset a 23% increase in the car's single most heavy component, anyway.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

How much would I be willing to pay for a solid-state battery if my SE's wet battery was failing? This site says a new BMW i3 battery costs almost $14,000. Solid-state batteries will be much more expensive. I assume cost-is-no-object companies like Ferrari and McLaren are waiting for solid-state batteries before building their EV sports cars.

14. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

It's pretty apparent that the J01 is using LFP chemistry with all that weight gain. Now CATL apparently has a Shenxing LFP battery that can charge at 4C, but I highly doubt that's in the J01 MINI COUPER (S)E.

15. piflechien

piflechien New Member

German websites shows the different variants and prices.
    upload_2023-9-4_23-14-12.png
    upload_2023-9-4_23-14-43.png

upload_2023-9-4_23-15-10.png
    upload_2023-9-4_23-15-51.png

16. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    The quoted efficiency – 15-14.1 kWh/100 km (4.1-4.4 mi/kWh) – isn't much better than the F56

17. insightman

Does the bottom-level Essential trim come with different, less-fun headlights?

SameGuy likes this.
  18. fishbert

I was confused by that when I saw it, because per Motoringfile:
    "It’s worth noting that, what we see in these photos [the two-line headlights] are the standard lights and not the adaptive LEDs that will be optional. Those will feature a horizontal bar and two different matrix units above and below."

That seems to clearly describe what's shown on the 'Essential' trim... but it seems weird for the optional upgrade to be shown as "standard" on the lowest spec model. :confused:

insightman likes this.
  19. CuriousGeorge

I'm not sure that's surprising, though. The current SE seems quite efficient, presumably benefitting from being "3rd generation" (original MINI EV then i3). Improved aerodynamics would improve efficiency at higher speeds, but could only be taken so far and still have the new SE look like a MINI. At the same time, the greater mass due to the larger battery is going to increase rolling resistance. So, a ~10% improvement might be all that was really possible.

insightman and SameGuy like this.
  20. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I guess because they went with a known entity in GWM, and they are pretty much using off the shelf technology now. Just somewhat surprising considering the various announcements at Munich and Frankfurt this week, for example MB and their "entry-level" 2025 CLA with "silicon-oxide anode" battery technology giving an estimated 5.2 mi/kWh (11.1 kWh/100 km) and 466 miles of WLTP range.

21. CuriousGeorge

Accepting both MINI's and MB's claims at face value, my guess is that the difference is largely due to 1) aerodynamics and 2) a two-speed transmission.

22. insightman

I keep reading about the exciting "Experience Modes" but this press release speaks to the experience in which I'm interested:
    With highly preloaded stabiliser mounts on the axles, the driver experiences a significantly improved body response during dynamic cornering as well as a valuable gain in steering precision and accuracy. The result is excellent body support combined with smooth rolling comfort. The MINI Cooper is also equipped with a strut brace for an even sportier driving experience.

Other than switching to RWD, I don't know how the new SE could feel sportier than mine, but MINI wouldn't stick "preloaded stabilizer mounts" and a "strut brace" on this car for any other reason.

I'd be very impressed if MINI claimed the steering feel is better. Does any car with electrically-boosted steering offer good feel? I remember with nostalgia the great steering feel of my Fiat-Abarth OT-1000 and my Porsche 914.