Next generation (J01) MINI Cooper revealed

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fishbert, Sep 1, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

MINI USA lists the curb weight of the Cooper S as 2813 lbs (manual) / 2841 lbs (automatic).
    MINI USA lists the curb weight of the existing Cooper SE as 3143 lbs.

I don't remember what weight numbers Google fed me earlier when I wrote that 430 lbs comment, but I probably just did bad math in the moment, since I was off by a round number (330 lbs more than the manual S).

And I was basing the next-gen Cooper SE weight off one of the video reviewers saying it was about 1600 kg (3527 lbs)... which does still check out at ~380 lbs more than the existing Cooper SE.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

They didn' t give 170-lb me time to exit my SE before they weighed it. Unfortunately, it appears they weigh in hundreds of pounds, not pounds. I wasn't very confident of this result.

upload_2023-9-1_20-45-50.png

In the UK, Harry weighed his SE with more precision, but it's not a US SE.

upload_2023-9-1_20-50-17.png

CuriousGeorge and SameGuy like this.
  4. fishbert

The UK MINI website lists the Cooper Electric weight at 1775 kg ... which is absurd for curb weight, and must be the max loaded weight capacity one would think.

5. bucoshi

bucoshi Member

Trying to picture what the Sunny Side Yellow MINI will look like without the white roof and side mirrors.

yellow_mini.png

Even though this probably isn't coming to the US anytime soon, I still can't wait for another country to have a customization page for the new Coopers.

SameGuy likes this.
  6. fishbert

For what it's worth, Gabe (MotoringFile) said on the latest episode of the White Roof Radio podcast that we might be surprised with how soon MINI are able to bring the J01 to the US market... that it would be sooner than 2027 (the rumor thus far). Seemed clear he knew more than he was allowed to say.

bucoshi, endquote and MichaelC like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. fishbert

More of the central screen than I've seen in other videos:

9. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Two-tenths? Not much. Probably within the reaction time variable for any given test driver.

insightman likes this.
  10. fishbert

You seemed incredulous at 6.7 vs 6.1; I was just saying that’s not apples-to-apples.

Small or not, 6.7 is an improvement on 6.9 … but the improvement I was talking about originally was the reported half second the J01 Cooper SE has on the Cooper E, despite similar power-to-weight ratios.

11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Documented time shouldn't be confused with real-world possible time. MINI tends to be conservative with performance stats, as we all know. I think the best way to look at it is the J01 is somewhat faster to 60 mph than the F56 SE, so it is definitely an improved stat. Perhaps someone with the right tires and technique will be able to achieve sub 6-second time, but MINI can't advertise that.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. endquote

endquote Active Member

On the mini.co.uk site...

Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 4.56.25 PM.png

Does the 10-80% guideline mean we don't have the sort of foolproof buffer of the current gen that lets us not worry about being at 100%?

You can also be "one of the first to know when the new all-electric MINI Cooper is ready for ordering this October", which is... soon. So I guess that's when the real pricing and customization options will pop up. In the meantime if you scroll all the way down it does show which colors each trim level comes in.

I'm guessing you can't go too dark on the interior, otherwise the dash projections won't work.

bucoshi likes this.
  14. fishbert

No. The manual for the existing Cooper SE says the exact same thing under 'Charging Instructions': "If possible, keep the charge level between 10% and 80%."
    Hadn't thought about that before, but yeah, makes sense.

15. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I feel like the new fabric dash is going to be a magnet for pet hair.

Jkoya likes this.
  16. endquote

endquote Active Member

Don't sneeze on it either.

17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I have over 66,000 miles on my three year-old SE and have no signs of battery degradation, and I charge to 100% SoC every day. Plus, as I've said before, the current SE does not provide any means to cut off charging at 80%. The new Cooper might be a different story, there are certainly major software changes.

revorg likes this.
  18. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

Yeah. I am glad to know about the 80% limit now. I just survived my under two years of MINI SE. traded it in for my Cross Turismo last week. I am able to live again.

19. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Well apparently California is ditching J1772 for MENNEKES. See the MINI commercial at 0:21.

Also now that Pump Up the Jam is the unofficial anthem, we can enjoy Stefanie Wurst, head of MINI, dancing to the live brass version at 37:04.

bucoshi and endquote like this.
  20. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

I'm not sold on the J01 yet, even if it comes to US, it might be a while until there are aftermarket parts to modify it, I cannot leave anything alone so it is a waiting game. I did like the F56 for the clamshell hood, plastic fender flares, and the side skuttles because it give a good color contrast rather than being plain.

IMG_1702.jpeg

21. Rasmus Aage

Rasmus Aage New Member

I think the J01 is a decent modernization of the MINI - If not a little too plain. I prefer the F56, but I'm sure it'll grow on me.

The range is fine but I'm surprised the power gain (power to weight) isn't larger. Also kind of surprised that the MINI Cooper E (with the small battery) is heavier than the current SE, seeing as the new one is on a new platform. It will be very interesting to see the real-world range differences between the slightly larger and heavier new Cooper E with the 40kwh battery vs our old models with the 32kwh battery. The difference might be relatively minor.

A maximum charging speed of 75kw isn't that impressive. Hopefully, the charging curve will be as good as on the current models. The current one charges 0-80% in 36 minutes. The new one is 10-80% in 28 minutes.

I can't help but think that the current SE could probably fit a 40kwh battery pack in place of the 32kwh battery - if the batteries were more energy-dense. Hopefully, some garages will specialize in updating older EVs over the years.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    Pennyworth and bucoshi like this.
  22. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

MENNEKES?

23. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Yes the type of plug they use in Europe and CCS2 for 3-phase AC. If you stop at 0:21 of the video you will see the MINI with California plates and CCS2.

mennekes.jpg