Next generation (J01) MINI Cooper revealed

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fishbert, Sep 1, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

It looks like the infotainment system was not functional on this display model; just cycled through still images when the ‘experiences’ toggle was … toggled.

3. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

One of the (many) reviewers said that the system in the sample was not complete.

4. fishbert

Weight of the larger-battery SE (~1600 kgs) is around 380 lbs more than the current SE. And the smaller-battery E (~1500 kgs) is around 160 lbs more than the current SE. For context, the existing SE is about 430 lbs heavier than the gas-powered version.

Also, the heart-shaped watermelon basketball backboards … same shape as the logo on the ‘experiences’ toggle, it seems.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    CuriousGeorge likes this.
  5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    The power and torque numbers of the bigger-batteried J01 SE don't show a significant increase in torque-to-weight ratio compared to the F56 SE, while the E's is almost unchanged. What a missed opportunity.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. fishbert

The 0-60 time does improve by about 0.5 seconds, though, so it’s not a wash. And there is a JCW version coming in the future.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I expected a much quicker time to 60. Maybe MINI is being overly conservative, like the were when they rated our SEs at 0-60 in 6.9 seconds.

9. fishbert

[​IMG]

endquote and CuriousGeorge like this.
  10. To remove this ad click here.

11. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Is it really that much? Wow.

I guess that goes to show you the advantage of an EV in terms of acceleration from a stop. Despite having similar peak power and torque as the ICE version, the SE is clearly quicker 0-60 (despite what MINI says) even though it is about 15% heavier. F=ma, baby!

12. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

It's a non-opening glass roof with extra ambient lighting and a retractable opaque headliner (mesh for F56). The ambient lighting is only visible when the headliner is retracted.

13. CuriousGeorge

Thanks!

14. bucoshi

bucoshi Member

15. SameGuy

YUL
    6.7 is an improvement? Didn't C&D get 6.1 with the F56 SE?

insightman likes this.
  16. SameGuy

YUL
    I've seen quotes all over the map, from 2870 lbs in the UK up to our 3140 (or so). The ICE S curb weight is listed at 2948 lbs.

17. CuriousGeorge

The latter might be a rhetorical question, but lots of folks have reported 6.0-6.1 s.

18. CuriousGeorge

I recall @insightman pondering the actual weight and suggesting that he'd weigh his if the opportunity arose. However, I assume that never happened...has anyone else actually weighed an SE?

19. fishbert

MINI's official 0-60 spec is 6.9 seconds for the existing SE.
    So, yes, a MINI official spec of 6.7 seconds is an improvement.