Turning signals flickering

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by alter, May 4, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. alter

alter Member

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this, but my rear driver turn signal would often flicker whether the car is on or off and it has now started to happen on the passenger front turn signal.

2018 honda clarity PHEV

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Sounds like a short in a wiring harness. Rodents maybe?

JFon101231 likes this.
  4. alter

alter Member

so even if it's off this can happen? I don't see any evidence of mice

5. Robert_Alabama

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  6. Klein

Klein New Member

If you look on the clarity subreddit, there have been several people who have this behavior and ended up having a bad BCM. I wouldn't immediately condemn the BCM, but its worth being one of the first few things you might check

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robert_Alabama

insightman likes this.
  9. Robert_Alabama

Oops... meant to post this link to show price of used BCM, instead pasted two copies of same link. Must be old age :)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/295457598631

Also ran across this video for programming a 2018 Honda Accord BCM. I suspect the process is similar for a Clarity.

Last edited: May 7, 2023
  10. Petorius

Petorius New Member

I am having the same issue. Please post up if you figure it out. Hoping to avoid a costly BCM replacement.

11. Ada

Ada New Member

Any tips or guides on replacing BCM yourself? is that even possible? here is it?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Robert_Alabama

Yes. It should be possible. The youtube video in the link above shows a replacement for a 2018 Honda Accord BCM being replaced and programmed from what I remember.

14. Robert_Alabama

@MrFixit may be able to weigh in, but I suspect you will need the beta software for the Autel AP200 to do the programming yourself.

15. Ada

Ada New Member

Thanks. Do you know where the clarity bcm is located?

16. Robert_Alabama

I believe it is under the dash on the left side of the steering wheel near where the port for the ODB2 is located. I think you can see it to the left of the ODB2 port from what I remember. If you are successful in getting Autel to provide the beta version of the software for the AP200, you will need an android phone to use it. It doesn't work with Apple from what I remember. There are some here who have used the AP200 to program additional keys. That's a big part of what needs to be done from what I remember from the video. Someone may offer to help or at least help guide you if needed, and might even lend a hand depending on where you live.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  17. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

The BCM is indeed under the driver's side dash...
    Here is a diagram showing what it looks like. There are quite a number of connectors.

This sort of flickering could be the BCM. I always worry about an intermittent like this being a connector / wiring probem which can be very difficult to identify. But, replacing the BCM is not an unreasonable approach if you are up to it.

upload_2023-8-31_7-50-26.png

I would not have expected that programming was necessary, but it turns out that the BCM contains part of the immobilizer system, so when installing a new (or used one), it does need to be programmed. Part of this appears to involve programming it to accept your key(s).

As such, I would be almost certain that you would need the Beta version of the Honda Diagnostics if you were planning to use the AP200.