When will next gen se come to usa

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Patrick drumm, Jul 4, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

I've been wondering about this. Will there be no US Cooper SE until the European J01 starts production?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

If by “European J01” you mean manufactured in Europe… yeah, probably.

Unless BMW pulls a rabbit out of a hat, it looks like all we’ll get over here is an electric Countryman until maybe around 2027.

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I agree completely, but I was thinking from a service department standpoint. I'm sure having common parts simplifies everything, although they've dealt with model changes many times so it's likely not that big of a deal.

5. endquote

endquote Active Member

bucoshi likes this.
  6. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

MichaelC likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

If that's the real screen it's gorgeous! I've never seen any car use such a high quality display.

bucoshi and endquote like this.
  9. endquote

endquote Active Member

It’s a round Samsung OLED, should look nice. Maybe you already saw these videos of the software…

10. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

bucoshi likes this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

When MINI shows the center display software, the image of the display is round, but the display is actually flattened at the bottom. I wonder what extra concerns the flat-spot poses for the programmers of the display? It's interesting to see how many images of the display are positioned at the bottom of the photo or video to hide the non-circular part. Why not just make the thing circular?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. endquote

endquote Active Member

With all the new software, I’d expect WiFi and regular updates like other ground-up EVs. But I wonder if this means we’ll be locked out from the sorts of deeper customizations we enjoy with BimmerCode.

14. mikeg0305

mikeg0305 Active Member

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this but I hate the “Tesla center display” setup. I don’t know how having everything important to actually driving not being in front of the driver is good and frankly safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

GetOffYourGas, ghost and Godfrey like this.
  15. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

Let's hope they spend as much time on the MINI APP. The current version is a disaster.

beerhecht likes this.
  16. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

It's not a Tesla center display. Mini's have had a tradition of the center display, long before Tesla was even a glimmer in what's-his-name's brain. The center display made it easier to manufacture both left-hand drives and right-hand drives. I, for one, like the Mini traditions.

MiniMe, CuriousGeorge and Puppethead like this.
  17. Patrick drumm

Patrick drumm Member

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

As long as the HUD remains available, I could live with moving the less-important info to the center, like an original Mini.

It's a moot issue for me because it will take a very long crowbar to loosen my fingers from my 2021 Iconic SE's MINI Yours leather steering wheel.

19. ghost

ghost Active Member

The worst is having to reboot it when it freezes and temporarily having no driving data at all.

20. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Volvo does this pretty well. While they do have a drivers display, it's partially controlled by the main unit. When that bugs out mission critical data remains even as all other features fall away. I believe this is a core feature of AAOS, so the new MINI "display" should get it too.

21. MiniMe

MiniMe New Member

Picking up on this old discussion...

There's an issue with tariffs but not just. The US $7500 tax credit for EVs only applies to vehicles assembled in North America. This isn't the case in Canada: incentives are available for any EV within the price range. Tesla's Model Y in Canada is imported from China instead of the one assembled in the US. BMW could import the new model in Canada from China but whether they will that's another story.

insightman likes this.
  22. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

US (or Mexico) built next-gen SE?

"In an interview with Automotive News (subscription required) published on Wednesday, Michael Peyton, vice president of Mini of the Americas, said the automaker has a plan to get the electric Cooper and Aceman to the U.S. and that more details will be announced in the fourth quarter.

"It’ll be good news for North America,” he said. “We’ve got a plan to make sure we can bring those products to market at the right price points and from a business case that works for us and our dealers.”

He said Mini is considering production outside of China and hinted that North America is a possibility.

“When you have significant tariffs from an import standpoint and from an overall manufacturing cost [perspective], we’ve got to address those,” he said. “There’s some good things in place from a BMW Group standpoint that will particularly enable North America.”"

https://fox5sandiego.com/automotive/internet-brands/electric-minis-may-be-built-in-north-america/

MichaelC, MiniMe, SameGuy and 2 others like this.