Consensus on long (or short) term storage?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by TempoHouse, Mar 27, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TempoHouse

TempoHouse Member

Will be away from the MINI for six or seven weeks. Has a consensus emerged on best battery practices for leaving it parked a long time like this? Or , anyway, those of you who have had to do something like this, what have you done?

We have a 2022 SE, in the US.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

It's covered in the manual believe it or not.

carrrl likes this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Basically fully charge the battery per the manual. There's almost no drain on the battery when parked so leaving it unplugged for 6-7 weeks would likely show very little drop in charge.

5. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

Not to open a can of worms that's already been discussed ad nauseum in another thread... but the manual has changed its mind rather significantly between revisions, and nobody has been able to explain exactly why.

polyphonic likes this.
  6. TempoHouse

TempoHouse Member

We left the car for seven weeks, with the battery at 86%. It dropped all the way to 85%.

Zim and ghost like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Louis W

Louis W Member

If you can keep it plugged in, that's ideal. Otherwise, I wouldn't be concerned so long as you charge the car fully beforehand. The main battery will keep the 12V battery topped off.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I still can't find where MINI says the 12V battery gets charged when the SE is not ON. It might happen, but why doesn't the manual explain that important feature?

10. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

Based on the updated manual, I would leave it unplugged with the battery somewhere between 50% and 80%. As someone said, it might lose a % but it should keep the 12V charged. Don’t expect to use the remote climate or door locks until you drive it again. The remote features stop working a few days after the last drive.

11. Puppethead

Back from my trip, my SE stayed at 100% SoC after 11 days of being unplugged. Parked in a garage, so a pretty consistent environment.

mikeg0305 and SameGuy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Louis W

Louis W Member

MINI calls the 12V battery the vehicle battery. In the owner's manual (https://www.miniusa.com/content/dam/mini/PDF/archiveownermanuals/MY22/MINI_Owners_Manual_F56_Cooper_SE_SOP_3-2022.pdf), there's a mention on page 266: "A charger that is installed in the vehicle supplies the vehicle battery with power. The charger receives the necessary energy from the high-voltage battery". Most likely there's more details in the technical manual, but I haven't seen it.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I assume there must be a technical manual for the SE, but I suspect it's online and not easily accessible to the public. If anyone knows someone who has access to the SE technical manual, please ask them to answer this important question.

15. Puppethead

Since the SE wakes up periodically to check in with the backend servers and will cool the high voltage batteries if necessary, I suspect it can also maintain the 12 V battery. But some real documentation would indeed be nice.

insightman likes this.