Long beep on level2 connection

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dan Albrich, Aug 9, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

My Clarity charging is working fine. Just recently, I started hearing a long audible beep when connecting. The green light turns on to indicate charging and the charge goes fine, but it never used to do this. I searched these forums and found an older discussion. The fix was to make sure you don't have scheduled charging enabled. I checked, and I do not have scheduled charging.

Not a big deal (innocuous so far) but odd. I've literally had years of charging without this beep prior.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I've had that happen a few times (on both my father-in-law's Clarity and mine). It actually happened today on mine. Like you, I am not sure what the cause is...

4. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I noticed the beep whenever I opened the cover with the remote and charge.

Madmartigen likes this.
  5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I have noticed this long beep too. It just seemed like it was random to me, but now that you mention it I will pay closer attention to see if it corresponds to opening the cover with the remote.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  6. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I can believe the opening of the charging door with the the remote, maybe after the car is locked?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I think that's the answer I'm looking for. I'll pay attention and see. I am delighted by this response because I think its correct, and it means nothing is wrong with my car. I don't mind the beep but was concerned something wasn't working correctly. Thanks to each response to this inquiry. The help is appreciated.

Madmartigen likes this.
  9. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Dan, there is nothing wrong with the car! Think of the beep as a nagging spouse!

10. Has anyone noticed if the beep occurs when connecting a L1 EVSE after locking the doors and opening the charge lid with the remote?

Interestingly, no beep occurs when the vehicle is locked and the charge lid is opened with the remote. That would seem like an appropriate time to alert the owner that the lid had been opened while the vehicle was locked, in case the lid had been opened inadvertently. Waiting until an EVSE connection is made to send an audible alert seems unnecessary.

We mostly charge in the garage with a L2 EVSE after opening the lid from inside the vehicle and we don’t lock the doors when the car is in the garage. We have also charged at a free public L2 charging station. In every case the lid was opened from inside the car, however, I’m not certain of the sequence of events as far as connecting the cable and locking the doors.

Right now the battery is fully charged. I’ll try a few methods this afternoon to try and determine what conditions trigger the alert.

11. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

On my 2018 Touring, there is a long (~1-1.5 sec) beep whenever charging starts, whether it's on a schedule or is started off-schedule. I always presumed that it was a positive feedback that the electrons are flowing. Doesn't matter if the charge port door is opened with the fob or the button on the dash.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tried a couple of locked door-charge lid opening procedures today. Our car doesn’t beep when a L2 charge cable is connected under the following conditions. In fact, it has never beeped when a charge cable is connected.

First attempt was to lock the doors with the button on the door handle and then open the charge lid with the remote. No beep, just the charging light on as normal.

After removing the cable, closing the charge lid and unlocking the doors by touching the door handle, the second attempt was to lock the doors with the remote and open the charge lid with the remote. Same result as first attempt.

FWIW: We do not have any auto lock features enabled (walk away and the doors lock, etc.) Door lock and unlock features are as set from the factory. We have never activated or used Hondalink or done any scheduled charging.

Any questions?

14. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I got it to beep. The car will beep if you enabled scheduled charging and you manually start the charge with the key fob.

15. Interesting.

However, per the original description, neither of those conditions exist.