Help me with basic math please

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Tommm, Aug 3, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

So how much should be deducted for a Mini since it comes with a L2 charger?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Well using a Partial Cost of Ownership model by Anderson Economic Group is primarily for public policy, most notably future taxation on EVs (i.e. toll roads, user fees, etc.).

If you want to follow the their analysis I suppose you could deduct negative $500 in year 1 to bring it down $6.63 per 100 purposeful miles. You can also add $200/year on the ICE for oil & filter service.

anderson4.JPG

4. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

I do think the numbers are an actual scenario, just far removed from my own, so it makes them seem wrong at first.

The 20% away from home would be 2,400 miles in this scenario which is quite a bit, but not that far off for a Michigan-Florida trip for spring break or vacation.
    $3.32/gallon is dated, but in the ballpark.
    33mpg is reasonable for a smaller car as overall mpg.
    3.9mi/KWH is accurate.
    The 255 deadhead miles is kind of out there, but only adds $14.70 (which I can't recreate that exact number)

If someone buys a Bolt, buys a charger, lives in Michigan, has to charge during a long trip or 2, etc then yeah it's about right.

For my case, I come up with $3.62 for 100 miles including the new Kentucky $120 road tax and the fact I've never bought an EVSE and currently have 3 or 4, can't remember exactly.

SameGuy likes this.
  5. DJCoopster

When I consider our Ioniq 5, it's even better since we get 2 years of free Electrify America charging and have used the crap out of it so far.

My wife is taking it on a trip to Charleston, SC from here in October and will likely charge for free the entire trip.

SameGuy likes this.
  6. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

About half of the annual miles on my Bolt are on road trips that require public charging. However, since I leave home with a full charge, it ends up being less than half the energy I use on those trips. So 20% is probably a good number for my use case.

The SE doesn’t travel often so it’s more like 5% of my energy is from public charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

SameGuy and DJCoopster like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    IMO this whole discussion can get in the bin. It's a BS "article" based on a garbage "study" with so many holes and irrelevancies, is it really worth discussing...? There is nobody in this forum we need to convince.

xd366, Tommm and yoomini like this.
  9. SameGuy

YUL
    All GM EVs deliver with a no-cost Level 2 charger similar to the BMW Flexible Fast Charger.

10. SameGuy

YUL
    As do all VWs... My best friend's '23 Bolt EUV came with a 32 Amp charger and a CA$750 Flo charging credit. He has given me his Flo login because he doesn't think he will be able to use up that credit for public charging before he is too old to drive lol. Seriously, it's just a bogus article based on a BIG OIL agenda.

11. DJCoopster

It was posted in a Navy Nucs group on FB I'm in.

It's amazing how viral anti-EV articles can become so quickly. The members of that group tend to be older conservatives. They can't stand that women are allowed on subs now, just can not.

SameGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

True!

My math was simple. Buy a 35k car for 25k. pay 28K out the door for a new car with a few bucks in wire and a circuit breaker. Drive it for less than 4 cents a mile and when it comes time to sell see where I am. In the meantime I paid 10k less than the same car with that takes premium gas, and will cost at least 10 cents a mile to drive.

GetOffYourGas and SameGuy like this.
  14. SameGuy

YUL
    Now imagine my situation in Montreal, where I pay just over 4¢ (US) per kilowatt-hour, and a US gallon of regular unleaded is US$5.72... With 99.7% of our electricity supplied from renewable or "green" sources (mostly hydro), and ~US$9,000 in government EV incentives available, the calculus is embarrassingly simple here.

15. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I'm "green" with envy. I thought I had a good deal. Gas is hovering at $3.39 here, and I'm currently paying $0.17 per kwh. I believe my utility company just reached 50% renewable.

SameGuy likes this.
  16. DJCoopster

Be careful, your numbers are almost exactly what the study used for their calculations!

SameGuy likes this.