Batteries Included Podcast Episodes

Discussion in 'General' started by Domenick, Aug 5, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I've started a new Podcast series. Besides a regular news and experience show on Fridays - live at 9:30 AM Eastern - we hope to also have a regular show with interviews some time through the week as well.

Our actual launch episode is September 1, when we'll have a full panel of four co-hosts, but we're doing four "soft launch" episodes leading up to that.

Episode -4.

turtleturtle and Fastnf like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

Glad to see the usual crew at the same time as before. You alluded to having a bit more freedom since you're on your own. It will be interesting to see the upcoming shows and midweek episodes.

The new DCFC network is good news, I understand that in Canada we're going to be a year later on deployment.

Domenick likes this.
  4. Robb Stark

Robb Stark New Member

Glad you guys are back!

Domenick likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm just happy we're not required to get an "X" (formerly known as Twitter) account. I just found "X" to be too expensive for too little value. At least old Twitter's price, nothing, matched its value, nothing.

Bob Wilson

Domenick, insightman and Fastnf like this.
  6. Woo Hooo.... I found the podcast evolution, Batteries Included on YouTube.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Is "Batteries Included" going to discuss "Apps Not Included" at some point? And the bearing of NEVI on that.

_H*

Domenick likes this.
  9. Open access is always an issue, so it should come up. I expect we'll be talking a lot about DC fast charging a fair amount over the next few years.

10. bwilson4web

A gentle suggestion, have an 'after market' section always somewhere in the podcast. For example, I needed to see this:

I'm also interested in better wheels, tires, suspension, and aero kits for my 2019 Model 3 Standard Range Plus.

Bob Wilson

Domenick likes this.
  11. Episode -3.

Fastnf and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Episode - 2 and -1.

14. Episode 1!!!

aamyotte likes this.
  15. Episode 2.

electriceddy likes this.
  16. Keep after 'em Kyle, as Tom suggests VW will change to NCAS: kicking and screaming, but again the sooner the better! (Nein is not the answer)
    I do have a deposit on a 2024 MY ID4 (I switched from 23 MY right after the VW Media announcement on Sept 5, the 23 was already built waiting delivery, but the changes/updates were too many and important to overlook).
    It would be nice if they change early in the new year and additionally supply NACS/CCS adaptors similar to others.

Domenick likes this.
  17. Episode 3!

electriceddy likes this.
  18. Tom makes a good point on the fire issue, when the pack falls out making the fire easier for first responders to deal with independent of the vehicle.
    Perhaps a safety feature, like airbags deployment in a crash, that automatically drop the pack when thermal runaway occurs. Of course, implemented into that, would only drop the pack if the fire occurred after being in "drive mode", an issue as removal of the vehicle would be more difficult from perhaps a garage while charging. In that case, a "manual" release could be implemented by first responders once the vehicle has been moved into a better position.
    Kind of a failed review regarding the New Gen Kona, comments like - looks worse, get the older version and still slow charging turned me off.
    Martyn jumped in to save the day saying he loves his, and appreciated the availability of the heat pump being inclusive.

Domenick likes this.
  19. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Regarding fires, I gather there are special fire blankets that can be put over a car. Don't know how well they work.

Fires on vehicle carrier ships takes it to a whole new level. Shippers are still trying to figure out what precautions can be taken to minimize the risk

Domenick likes this.
  20. bwilson4web

Batteries have their own reactants that do not need air to overheat, burst, spewing hot flammable electrolyte.

Bob Wilson

21. I am not intending to stray OT by adding this link (apologies @Domenick), but it part of what Tom promised us in this podcast episode as he douses the flames on EVs thought not to be safe over fire concerns. Also a small blurb on thermal runaway and first responders' actions. This video is just a few hours old and is worth a watch.;)
    As he indicates chances of being involved are ~ .3% EV compared to 1.05% ICE, approximately 5 fires/billion EV miles driven compared to 55 fires/billion miles driven.
    My personal experience back in early 70's, buddies Karmann Ghia went up from a broken fuel line, fortunately we both got out safely with minute or two to spare.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    Domenick likes this.
  22. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

When you dump lithium metal into water, you get a reaction similar to that with sodium, right?

_H*

23. Edward Ragasa

Edward Ragasa New Member

Very glad to have found you guys. I loved listening to the (InsideEVs) podcast every Friday and when I listened to it and things were different, I gave it a listen for 10 minutes and hated it. I immediately unsubscribed from it. Don't know what took me so long to do a keyword search for "Domenick Yoney podcast" to find you guys. I have subscribed using Overcast and downloaded all the episodes you have out so far and will listen to them all. Keep up the awesome work.

Domenick likes this.