Safety Recall - Campaign 239

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by arhnold, Feb 21, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. arhnold

arhnold New Member

I searched the forum but didn't get a hit for campaign 239, so figured I would share.

I received a letter today from Hyundai for a safety recall related to the Electric Power Control Unit. Apparently certain 2021 model year Kona EVs may have an improper seal which can cause an internal coolant leak and contamination of the EPCU main controller. This could result in triggering of the vehicle's limited mobility "fail safe" drive mode and a sudden loss of drive power or vehicle stall.

A fix is not yet available, but in the works.

Details at: www.hyundaiusa.com/campaign239

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. This has been raised a few times in the various Kona and Niro forums. It's just a check on around 800 units where the inverter quality control was lacking. If they find a leak my understanding is they'll replace the unit.

arhnold likes this.
  4. Haidagwaiipilot

Haidagwaiipilot New Member

Thanks for posting Arhnold. I followed the link as I have a 2021 Kona EV and put in my VIN. However, the form just goes blank so hard to tell what's up with it. I guess I will phone the Hyundai dealer.

5. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I'm trying to use that form today too, and it just keeps bringing me back to the same blank form. I'm
    filing a complaint at 855-671-3059 as given on the main recalls page; the rep there is feeding me some
    BS about some distinction between campaign 239 (safety) vs. campaign T9E ("a service provided by
    the dealer") which I totally don't understand. Both problems can disable tne vehicle, possibly at a very
    inopportune time, and yet on their general "service campaigns" page, I cannot look either one up.

She said 239 doesn't apply to me, so that's good, but I know from my pending dealer appointment
    that T9E does. The dealer could certainly look that up, why the f can't I directly? She entered an
    escalation ticket to their web devs to not only fix busted form handlers, but also have a way an owner
    can look up anything about their own vehicle.

_H*

electriceddy likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Haidagwaiipilot

Haidagwaiipilot New Member

Thanks for the tip, that worked and thee are no safety recalls for my VIN.

electriceddy likes this.
  8. Absolutely the best source I have found, it was mentioned a few years ago. Hopefully those in USA have the same access with Auto Repair Source - all free, requirement is an online library membership. I know it is available throughout Canada.:)
    At that time (2019) Kona EV manuals, wiring diagrams, diagnostic trouble codes (with explanations), repair procedures and TSBs were few and far between, but that is expected with a new vehicle.
    Here is a shot of the TSB in question
    [​IMG]
    and here is one wiring diagram I picked from random - HV battery module 4 type C 27 cell (there are a multitude of other wiring diagrams as well, it will probably take me most of this winter to copy them all):
    [​IMG]
    Any EV can be sourced here (as well as ICE), with the exception of the 2024 models- not released yet. It can take a year or more info to be loaded onto the sight. I just checked 2022 Ford Lariat Lightning for example, and the wiring diagrams are not up yet, they are for a 2021 Mustang Mach-E however so give it time-they will.;)
    Edit: I just noticed I goofed up and uploaded the wrong HV Battery Module diagram, as this one is from the low capacity version, but you get what I mean...so don't use this one to troubleshoot:oops:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
  9. Went to the dealer today for an alignment and they mentioned this. But that they don't have the machine yet to complete the service. This what shows up on the service appointment:

Hyundai Recall - 20D140 1^OS EV AE EV COOLING SYSTEM CIRCUIT DEBRIS DISCHARGE AND COOLANT CHANGE