GOM vs. App

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Jim In Tucson, Jun 26, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

This morning my fully charged SE showed 99 miles on the GOM, but the App showed 104. I had presumed that the App would simplify read the GOM and report the same number. But, apparently each device has its own math and the two maths are different.

Perhaps this has been discussed, but in my 2 years of ownership it never dawned on my how odd this discrepancy actually is. Other than saying it’s a BMW, does anyone have an explanation?

I’d be real curious if the same occurred in the I3, or occurs in the new I4.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I think consensus is the GOM takes into consideration current weather conditions from the vehicle sensors.

4. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

From the manual:
    The range [display] can be abruptly reduced or increased based on the following factors:
    – Driving style.
    – Traffic conditions.
    – Program changes via the MINI Driving Modes switch.
    – Climate and terrain conditions.
    – Automatic climate control settings.
    – After determination of a route through the navigation system depending on the route profile, route distance and selected speed.
    – When exiting a route or recalculating a route.

5. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

My GOM range changed from 124 to 90 in 24 hours.
    I wonder if autocrossing it was related?

6. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Unless the GOM software version varies heavily in between cars built different times, it does not take into account previous driving or even weather. At least not on our 22 model.
    At least ours does not. It says we get about 108 miles of range in winter summer, spring or fall and all our drives result in a minimum of 140 miles of range and it still doesn’t shift.

Any variance seems to be the BMS losing track if the battery or the cells becoming temporarily imbalanced.

I wouldn’t trust it to tell me the time of day so I find it a total head scratcher how so many people on here trust it. Granted, if you live on the highway it may be much closer to reality by chance.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I don't believe most posters on this forum trust the GOM to tell them how far they can actually drive on the battery's current SOC. However, I am bothered by the posters who cite their GOM data when boasting about the efficiency of their SE. There is a difference.

AndysComputer and SameGuy like this.
  9. vader

vader Well-Known Member

Herein lies the oddity of the GOM. My GOM is hideosly inaccurate, however it is also....... quite accurate in a fashion. Mine in consistently, to the low single digit percentage, 40% out. Whatever the GOM says, I double, double again and divide by 10. That is the extra on top of the GOM value. This is surprisingly accurate now. The GOM appears to actually get the value correct, but displays it with a 70% factor. Hmmm, that is very similar to the EPA fudge factor.... Anyway, as an example,

GOM reads 160km
    double = 320
    double = 640
    divide by 10 = 64
    total range 224km.

This is normally less than 5km out. It really is that accurate and consistent through summer/winter etc. Go figure. I have a 2020 (first edition), so your mileage may vary (pun intended).