Climate control malfunction?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Joev, Jul 18, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 2019 Kona EV Ultimate
    Has anyone experienced this? With the climate control off, then turn the fan on, no other buttons on the climate control are illuminated yet my air condition is running. Temperature control does not seem to have any effect either. I can hear the compressor/fan running and I see a puddle of condensation under the vehicle and cool dry air coming out.

I've tried pushing the AC button to cycle it on and off, tried the heat button yet when the system turns on it seems to occasionally start with the AC on with no indication of that.
    Even when I push the climate button and look at the screen to see what functions are on or selected, it doesn't show AC.

Any guesses?
    Thanks, Joe

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

That jives with my observations; trying to go into front-defog is even worse since it often brings on
    A/C *and* heat, usually in cooler wearher. The system seems ultra-paranoid about humidity, and
    will even cancel "recirc" mode if it detects cabin dampness rising or maybe just after some timeout.

But once you have the mode set, you can cancel the A/C or heat by toggling their buttons to OFF.
    In some cases the A/C compressor will keep running at a very low level -- I realized this on some
    overnights in utility mode with the fan on low. But that seems to use very little energy so I ceased
    to worry about it. If anything it kept me more comfortable on summer overnights without specifically
    turning the A/C on.

It's very weird, but if you pay attention to what it enables and the noises it makes, it's more or less
    understandable.

_H*

4. Thanks for the input.
    I'll keep an eye on it and update here if I figure something out.