Low frequency hum when accelerating? Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by David12231990, Jul 10, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The point of an EV qualified dealership certifying the problem is to create a paper trail. This is your only route to warranty coverage if a failure takes you off the road.

My experience leads me to believe Hyundai/KIA is denying initial claims and hoping the second owner sells off the vehicle.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

Thanks. Well they are going to have a thorn in their side with me because I'm not going through the hassle of selling

4. Have you made enquiries with your dealer yet?

5. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

Hi, only to the extent that I've made them aware and made an appointment. They are quite booked so I'm waiting until 8/2

KiwiME likes this.
  6. BruceWard

BruceWard New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I signed up because I'm having gear-whine type noise in my 2019 Kona EV, recently purchased used with 47,000 miles. Bought as a "certified" from a Hyundai dealer. Everything else is fine and I love the car but that noise seems excessive, especially since I just drove a rented ICE Kona which was much quieter. Perhaps surprisingly, it seems to be louder at the rear of the car but I know all the hardware is in the front.....I'm planning to take it to the dealer to inquire as soon as possible. Threads I've been reading about motor and drivetrain replacement sound scary, I expect the dealer will resist that mightily!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mine didn't resist at all. It's a well known and documented issue and the resolution is also well known and provided for. If your dealer is resistant try to find one with experience swapping drive trains.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

SOOOOO....

the service department guy initially tried to downplay the noise, but when his technician got on it, he said it was louder than normal.

This is the second night they'll have the car.

They gave me a 2023 BRAND NEW Ioniq 5 to drive. Sure wish they hadn't, but a fun car. And it's absolutely silent. I told the guy that if this car is silent then it's pretty obvious there's an issue. And he was like "well they are different cars and have different noise levels"

No way. Mine is only tolerable with music loud.

So we'll see what happens. Still just happy that they have acknowledged it's not normal. But if they give it back to me with nothing done and no explanation, then what?

10. Through this
    Through this forum I was able to track down another dealer with experience when my dealer was stymied. It worked for me.

11. Well, although planning in general is a good habit there's no point in getting worked up over speculation as I don't think anyone has been turned away. Once they read the TSB and make a few phone calls, they will realize that this is a way bigger issue than they had imagined. What is a more likely scenario is that it could takes weeks or even months to repair. They should provide you with a loaner car for duration.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

Well, my cars been with them over a week now. They said they are ordering the kit from the Hyundai bulletin that I brought to their attention.

I'm not complaining driving their loaner, a 2023 brand new Ioniq 5, but just feels like they are not actually sure what to do. But still just pleased they are taking it serious

14. That's a generous understatement.

15. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

Thanks. Yes It seems I got overly worried and they gave me a great loaner. Honestly it's just making me want the Ioniq 5, but oh well. I'll take it while I got it.

electriceddy and KiwiME like this.