Low frequency hum when accelerating? Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by David12231990, Jul 10, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

So I've had my 2021 Kona EV Ultimate car for a few days. I'm not sure how I missed this during test driving, but now it's all I hear and i can't imagine that this is normal. I thought evs were supposed to be quiet. What do you think? Do all of your Konas make this sound when accelerating?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5uefffzPQx73SZZHA

22kona and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Definitely sounds related to the Motor/GRU drivetrain (not normal). Good catch...
    Fortunately, warranty should not be an issue with Hyundai (covered for 5 yrs). Be sure to include video/audio copy.
    Maybe the Toyota dealership you purchased from will cover a loaner N/C while it is in for service, (I would talk with them first).
    There have been a few motor issues to date (but very few) Kona EV is a very good car and worth hanging on to.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    22kona likes this.
  4. Oh yeah, totally abnormal but not a noise I've heard reported before.
    Smart move providing a recording up front while you have our attention!

22kona likes this.
  5. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Really sounds like a driveline problem. Since it gets noticeably louder with applied power and pitch increases with speed, I'm guessing it's a duff bearing in the gearbox. First thing I'd do (if the warranty claim wasn't an option) would be to check the gearbox oil for sludge or glitter. Anyway, if it's under warranty it's the dealer's problem to solve. Sucks it happened in a new car but at least it happened early I guess?

6. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

Thanks. Totally frustrating and I knew it was possible going from super reliability to an EV with known issues.

My understanding was that there is a 10 yr warranty?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

You are saying you've never heard or heard of this noise being made before?

9. PRGDénia

PRGDénia Member

it definitely sounds like a problem.
    Since you’ve only had it a few days I think you can reject the car rather than having it fixed as it sounds like a major drivetrain problem. Or maybe use that option as leverage if they try to fob you off?

Keep us posted on what they say.
    Good luck on the outcome.

10. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

11. You can look this up (Applies to USA models) here to verify warranty duration.
    I filled in 2021 SEL Kona EV, and you will notice (in fine print) on page 15 that the powertrain warranty is indeed 10 years/100,00 miles for the original owner, subsequent owner(s) 5 years/60,000 miles, so this is not something you want to drag your feet on;)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

Hi thanks for the info!

I dug in and to me it looks like the power train warranty is for ICE cars, not EV. the warranty info above, EVS warranty, for EVs PHEV and hybrid does not have any original owner language.

14. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

I meant to attach this. I really hope I'm right!!

Attached Files:

15. I agree those online manuals can be a bit confusing. Did you not receive the original manuals that came with the car new? There should be:
    (1) Owners Manual
    (2) Car Infotainment System
    (3) Service Passport
    In the CDN version, Powertrain is only covered for 5 years/100,000km
    Do not confuse this with EV System warranty (which is 8 years/160,000 km) and includes Motor, Inverter Unit, Reduction Gear, DC/DC converter, Onboard charger, Onboard charger connector, Trickle charge cable, in Cable control box, HV Battery.
    YMMV

16. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

I've now read it a few times (I'm in US) and it reads to me like the the battery itself is under a 10 year 100k warranty. The powertrain would be 5 years, but I'm not even really sure what that means with this car.

17. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Just my interpretation, but if the problem is in the motor, that would be covered under the "Hybrid, Plug-in Hybrid, and Electric Vehicle System" portion which covers "Traction motor, including housing case"

Anything else in the driveline would be under the Powertrain portion; Case and all internal parts (read: gears, bearings), axles, CV joints, hub bearings. This would include the gears and bearings between the motor output shaft and the splines where the axles connect.

In either case, you have at least 5 years/60K miles allowance which you are definitely inside of. I would avoid driving it until the problem is identified - god forbid you have a chipped gear tooth and it decides to grenade itself on the highway or something.

18. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

Well that's really scary thought. I do drive it as I need to for work. The performance seems perfectly fine, nothing is off about how it feels and it's a fun ride. I've been drowning out the sound in music.

I wish there was a way to look under the hood while it was making the sound

19. This is a known issue.

Hyundai and KIA notoriously avoid the necessary motor and gear reduction unit replacement.

*In my experience* it will be a full year before repairs begin and another 6 months before they authorize the fix.

If you can return this vehicle, now is the time.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10211676-0001.pdf

20. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

Thanks this definitely seems like the issue.

My life is absurdly busy and I also really love the car so far if not for the noise.

I can deal with the noise so long as I know that the car will not explode. If the noise is more or less just an annoyance, I can wait. Do you know how serious this is if not fixed quickly? I imagine many of the cars 17000 miles were driven with this noise. Thanks so much!

21. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

However this says MY2019-2020. If that means model year, than mine would not be as it's 2021?

22. 22kona

22kona New Member

Take a deep breath, get the dealer to acknowledge the problem in writing, you have a video of the noise which learned members say is great, so once it is acknowledged just monitor and log the history. I can't see it exploding, what we need to do is identify if the problem is random, or a inherent problem.
    The more calm data collection and correlation of history, will mean a better outcome for everyone.
    I have a Kona EV that I'm hoping to pass on to my disabled daughter, so I really would like to see us as a community sort this out.
    Mine has done nearly 10,000km and I love it, but it hasn't got a noise, so to maintain its residual value we need to correct the issue.
    That is my two cents worth.

23. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

Thanks! Yes I'm going to stay on this until they fix it. It definitely seems like that Rumble noise sheet is what it may be. I agree that I don't think it will explode. It drives perfectly fine besides this and I guess I would be the first to explode in one which I think my odds of that not happening are pretty strong