Help Please- A Plethora of Driver Assist Issues

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Geor99, Jul 6, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

Starting yesterday, I saw the following errors on my screen: Adaptive Cruise Control Problem, Lane Assist problem, Coll Mit. System Problem, Road Dep. Mit System Problem, as well as a Christmas Tree worth of lights on my driver's side display (seen through the steering wheel.)

I tried to set the driver's assist to default & restarting the car several times to no avail. I can not use the cruise control at all, and it is something that I use for at least an hour per day and I love using.

Has anyone had this happen or have any ideas to fix it without spending a fortune going to the dealer? I will try to disconnect and reconnect the battery this evening, as that is the only thing that I can think of doing that may help.

I have attached pics of the issue to this message.

Thanks in Advance, Guys

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sound like what happens when the 12V battery gets weak.

LegoZ likes this.
  4. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

I tried disconnecting the battery to no avail, but I will try charging the battery tonight.

5. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

I let the 12v battery sit for a couple of hours and hit it with my voltmeter, which read 12.78V. So it's probably not that battery but I am trickle charging it overnight for good measure.

I hope that this isn't a multi 1000 dollar repair because I really really like the driver assist and use it every time I use the car.

I also tried this to no avail: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DTWSLd9WOuJ0&ved=2ahUKEwij99KE1vv_AhV5L0QIHdYkCT0QwqsBegQIHhAG&usg=AOvVaw1XZ1d69OKmaU4HoWkYkT4h

6. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

When the 12V battery drops below what the Clarity is happy with, it displays a plethora of multiple warnings.
    This will happen if it has been disconnected, if it is bad, weak, or otherwise discharged too low.

These messages do not go away simply by charging the battery.
    You will get messages like this even with a brand new battery when it is disconnected (or first installed).

I can't say for sure whether this exact set of messages is due to this known battery dropout issue but it certainly bears a strong resemblance.

We have learned that once the battery is restored to good condition, it is necessary to drive the car for a while (a few miles), and the errors / warnings will be cleared out.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Have you had any issue with the area near the mirror in the windshield where the forward facing camera is? That plus the radar system behind the front grille "H" emblem are critical components of the features that you're getting errors about.

9. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

Thanks for the advice. I will try a new battery for a few days even though my battery is under 18 months old.. I am completely addicted to driver assist, and I am not happy without it. I am able to work from home on most days but once or twice per week I have an 85 mile commute (42 each way,) and I am accustomed to using the drivers assist for 80% of that distance, and I really like using it. I can go without many things but my ac and drivers assist are practically mandatory for me at this point.

Of course, I will post my journey on this for others to learn from.

If a new battery doesn't help, I suppose that I will have to lather up and go to the dealer.

10. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

I did have my drivers side exterior front corner come lose. I smacked it back into place by hand maybe 3 times over the last year. The last time was 6 weeks or so ago and the cameras worked fine until a week ago or so. I'll do a thorough examination tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!!!! I'll post my findings to pass any knowledge learned on.

11. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

I moved the front driver's side exterior panel, as it has a little play in it from contact with a large pothole a while back. I pushed it back so that it was completely aligned. I started the car and all of the errors went away and the cruise control was working again. I then drove down a curb to leave a strip mall driveway to enter the main road in front of it. This up/down motion must have moved this front corner part again, because the issues came back. I am going to remove this part and place it back into place permanently by repairing whatever is causing it not to fit firmly into place. Hopefully, this will permanently cure my issue.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The back edge of the top front left part of the front facia was popped out on our Clarity for years. The first few times I pushed it back, it stayed un-popped until I drove my Clarity again. After that, it would never stay un-popped.

When I was getting my second replacement AC condenser a few months ago, I had my dealer's mechanic take a look at that popped-out piece while he had the front grille off for the AC service. He found a broken bracket, ordered a new one and I'm happy it cost me only $50.

In 5+ years/16K miles I've never had any problems with my Clarity's radar or camera systems; that popped-out piece was merely a cosmetic annoyance.