When will next gen se come to usa

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Patrick drumm, Jul 4, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Patrick drumm

Patrick drumm Member

There seems to be confusion as to when we might get the next gen se in the USA. Will it be next year or will it be several years down the road. Any idea as to when Mini might make an official anouncement. Trying to decide on getting current se or wait for next gen.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

I'd order now and decide when it arrives. It'll be interesting to see how availability of gallium and germanium affect the semiconductors used in cars.

CuriousGeorge likes this.
  4. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

It's not yet clear whether the next generation will ever be sold here.

5. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

It will; the US is too large a market (and with too much of a take rate on the SE) for MINI to ignore. They just need time to maneuver around the tariffs.

6. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

I had this discussion with my MINI dealer and was put on their order interest list. They don't expect se them until until 2025!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I was told the same thing, and they also added that they would expect the SUV/CUV varieties first, which would delay the SE even more.

9. CuriousGeorge

I don't disagree with your assessment of the situation, but the fact remains that no official announcement (much less timeline) has been made.

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

If that refers to the Countryman EV, that's being built in Germany isn't it? That should have no problem coming to North America. And if it's a different factory I don't know how it would affect the J01 (next gen SE) much. If it's a reference to the Aceman, I don't even know if that's going to be announced by November when the J01 is supposedly being announced.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

A quick search of the Chapter 87 Tariffs in Canada puts the 8702.40.10 rate at 6.1% as China is considered MFN (Most Favored Nation). There are special free trade tariffs for USMCA or Commonwealth countries as well.

14. Patrick drumm

Patrick drumm Member

If the Oxford plant is going to start making the ice version of the j01 next year when will production of the current se stop?

15. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

I have my name in for a Countryman SE as well, at the same dealer. They are expected as a MY24 next year and, yes, they will be manufactured in Germany. It's true, a lot of speculation going on but this sounds reasonable since production in Germany is something BMW can control (better than China).

16. CuriousGeorge

With the 2024 model year, but I don't recall the deadline for ordering...I think it is soon, though.

17. insightman

There won't be an ICE version of the J01. It will be a warmed-over F56 that emulates the styling of the J01.

18. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Well at least it will be a self-charging mild hybrid MINI. The ZF Friedrichshafen AG 8-speed transmission is legendary! Also with the modular transmission it is compatible with ICE, 48V hybrid, or 400V PHEV.

19. fishbert

The "ICE version of the J01" is the F66.
    End of production for the ICE F56 is March 2024, and I would assume it's the same for the F56 SE, given they're made on the same production line.

20. insightman

Will the F66 be a from-the-ground-up re-design instead of a warmed-over F56 that emulates the styling of the J01?

21. fishbert

Are you taking issue with the F66 being referred to as the "ICE version of the J01"? The article you link to even says "MINI is pulling out all the stops to make the F66 as similar to the J01 design as possible ... allowing consumers to have a choice that feels strictly about the propulsion system and nothing else."

The J01 is from the ground up an EV platform (that's why it gets such a different designation).
    The F66 platform is an "extensively revised" F56 (not a brand new G56, as was initially rumored).
    But when Patrick drumm said "ICE version of the J01", it was pretty clear what he was asking and the phrasing did not seem particularly controversial. You disagree?

22. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I guess the question is how much of the components will the two share, such as suspension, trim, and interior. I could see wanting to utilize as many of the same parts as possible for simpler supply chain issues. Or they may be two completely different models that look very similar but have their own respective replacement parts. Maybe we're spoiled having most SE parts be identical to ICE F56 parts.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
    insightman likes this.
  23. fishbert

Maybe that’s interesting to us MINI nerds, but I don’t think shared suspension part numbers is relevant to “ICE version of J01” at all. It’s a colloquial phrase, not a technical one.

When someone comes into a showroom looking for a new MINI 2-door hatchback, they're going to see two cars that look nearly identical: the electric one (J01), and the gas-powered one (the “ICE version of J01”).