Hyundai Calgary FI manager lies about Battery warranty in order to sell Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by JB_Charles, Jul 3, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JB_Charles

JB_Charles New Member

Anyone else get duped by the Finance Mgr when purchasing their IONIQ 5? Here in Canada the IONIQ5 are different in that my Preferred version Long Range RWD(mid trim) comes with a heat pump while in the U.S. only the Ultimate has that. So I was expecting that other things would be different. I bought the car 16 months ago and when I asked about the EV battery warranty the FI Mgr told me the EV battery warranty was only good for 24 months. This was a lie to get me to purchase a 6 yr/120,000 km warranty for $3036 which he assured me would cover the high voltage battery. Today I was reading the fine print in the Service Passport booklet and the EV warranty is good for 96 months or 160,000 kms (8 yrs/100,000 mi) which covers the high voltage battery. Further reading in another section I discover that the little 12-volt lead acid battery is only covered for 24 months. But this battery is of insignificant cost. So this bait-and-switch tactic by this dealership is unethical. He knew I was asking about the high voltage battery but instead he quotes me the warranty for the small 12-volt car battery in order to get me to buy an extended warranty. One can only feel completely ripped off. Bottom line is I was duped into buying a warranty that I don't need nor would I have ever bought as I was only interested in the coverage for the high voltage battery. Which I was told was only covered for 24 months. I have contacted the manager as I was pissed.
    When explaining the situation to Alex, the manager, I told him that when I asked about the battery warranty the FI Mgr told me that the battery was only warrantied for 24 months. He then asked me "Which battery?" and I replied "Exactly !!! You know exactly what I'm talking about" . To me I feel he just incriminated himself. He obviously trains his FI managers in this deception to claim that the "battery" has only a 24 month warranty when going thru the purchase process. Most average customers would not even know that there is a 12-volt car battery when they are a first-time buyer of an EV. Moreover a new buyer would only be referring to the high voltage battery and not the insignificant 12v battery when discussing warranty coverage. I knew there was a car battery in there but I certainly wasn't asking about warranty on that thing.

I'm seeking customer service from Hyundai Canada as this dealership is not willing to resolve the issue but I'm not holding my breath on any satisfactory resolution. So folks, heads up! These guys are bandits.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Unfortunately that's what dealerships do!

Our dealership tried to convince us that we had to pay PST on the full purchase price not the difference of our trade in, that didn't work since we queried the gov and proved to the dealership they were wrong. I wonder how many others they did manage to charge full PST.

There is an Ioniq5 forum that should here your story also.
    https://www.ioniqforum.com/forums/hyundai-ioniq-5.589/

I hope you get the help from HMC.