What did you do to your MINI today?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SameGuy, Oct 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Wreckless117

Wreckless117 Well-Known Member

Who would of thought push starts (minus clutch dumps) would make a come back lol

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I live in Santa Monica and South Bay MINI isn't far so the drive was great! This is my third MINI so obviously I love the brand, it's my first electric though and wow, the zipidydoodah! Today, for the first time, I put it in Sport Mode and scared myself!! Oh, what fun. I love the Rebel Green, love the plaid seats (didn't know if I would) and like the pepper white roof, would have chosen black if I could have. What I really love is never having to pull in to a gas station again - until I rent a car if I take a long road trip - I'd always be sucking fumes to avoid that chore.

insightman, pictsidhe and SameGuy like this.
  4. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Another autocross event today.
    My best event yet.
    I beat both Caymans and 2 of the 4 911s.
    I was the only Mini today.
    Less than 1s behind the seriously quick guy in my class.
    I'm feeling rather smug right now.

5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Would you guess it’s too easy for those tail-happy Porsches to overcook and lose precious tenths?

6. pictsidhe

My best run, I only overcooked half the course... Another 6 runs, I could have shaved over a second off. I think most of the Porsches weren't trying very hard, though at least one of them spun. Shiny and expensive cars...
    Last event, I beat my first Tesla, not sure which M3, maybe a vanilla. Today, I had a ridealong in a M3P. Dear God, that thing is quick. Accelerates and corners at a peak of 1.4g. Yes, he beat me by several seconds, and also beat the two street legal 911s that I didn't.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

Texas is a conservative state with several leftie metroplexes. I'm seeing lots of Teslas without front license plates, meaning, there are a lot of new Teslas on the road. And every EV on the road is not paying an Iowa ethanol tax. E15 will be here soon to make up the difference.

9. Green Gatsby

Green Gatsby Member

Well hey there, fellow Rebel Resolute owner! Welcome to the club :cool:

10. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Is that a DC Fast-charger at the MINI dealer? If so, I’m very impressed. The dealers I’ve been to all have Level 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

11. pictsidhe

I did a 700 mile road trip to Atlanta and back recently.
    One of my stops was a Hyundai dealer.
    They had a pair of chargepoint DCFCs in front of their showroom. It was at the end of a row of about 6 EVs that they had for sale, with room for maybe 20. I also went there the next day, when they were open. A few of the staff came out to look at the EV Mini.
    "Did you put these in to sell cars?"
    ":) Yes"

MichaelC likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I hadn't even noticed! My eyes were all over my car though.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
  14. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

My local dealer is literally right next to the BMW dealer. The Mini dealer has a level 2 charger outside (and one in the shop), and the BMW dealer has a level 3 charger outside. The level 3 is free, and the level 2 is not.

15. Hey backatcha. Hopefully the club will grow, I haven't seen a single Resolute on the road and I was looking to see what I was getting myself into.

16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I can understand this, since BMW has a number of electric models on the market and MINI still only has the one. And knowing the average BMW driver, they would expect nothing less than the best.

I have been wondering lately, though, how a MINI dealer would diagnose a DCFC charging issue without having one in the shop. For my dealer it looks like Electrify America is planning to build a site about two blocks from them, so that may be one solution.

17. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

I finally got around to painting my brake calipers and installing the mudguards I bought a couple of months ago. I wish that the POR-15 yellow was a better match, but I wasn't willing to pay extra for a custom match from G2, and Duplicolor seems to have stopped making their caliper paint in yellow. If I decide that I really don't like it, I figure that I can repaint them silver or black, or replace the center caps with ones without the yellow.

PXL_20230702_124258880.jpg

MichaelC, SameGuy and ghost like this.
  18. ghost

ghost Active Member

Looks good! I need to paint mine. I'm going to mix some white into the paint so that it makes it a bit more pale.

19. CuriousGeorge

I considered that, but wondered how it might impact the durability/high temperature resistance (not that my brakes are ever going to get very hot).

ETA: I sent this question to POR - will share what they have to say.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    ghost likes this.
  20. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I put new vehicle tabs on my plates today, but since I had three layers of tabs already I was determined to remove the old tabs first. I used a special X-ACTO knife chisel blade which worked great, much easier than trying to use a razor blade. Got down to the plate, with the stack of tabs peeling cleanly off in a single piece (both front and back).

[​IMG]

CuriousGeorge likes this.
  21. CuriousGeorge

Sometimes it's the simplest things, eh? <thumbs up>

22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

A few years ago, I didn't promptly apply my new tab and wouldn't you know it, while parked I returned to find a ticket on my windshield. Rather than own up to my legal responsibility, I easily peeled the the top 3 of 4 or 5 layers of tabs off and then told the authorities my tab had been stolen easily due to the thick stack of tabs on my rear plate (Michigan requires only a rear license plate). Their records showed I had paid for the "missing" tab, so I didn't have to pay the ticket and soon received a "replacement" tab. I must admit, however, going to both the Secretary of State and City Hall offices certainly took more time than just sending in the minimal fine.

23. CuriousGeorge

"Yes, you can mix Engine Enamel with Caliper Paint."