22 Kona keeps going into Turtle mode after sched. Maintenance

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Cki, Jun 4, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cki

Cki New Member

Hey everyone,

2022 Kona EV owner here. Took our Kona into Hyundai for its second scheduled maintenance and I asked for the gear reduction oil to be changed as well after reading this forum. Car is at just under 40,000km after 18 months of ownership and it has (had) been 100% perfect not even one minor issue.

Went in to dealership to pick it up as I was in the area, and noticed that they had the kids car seats out and the back seats unfolded and when I inquired why they said because in order to do the reduction oil change they needed to disconnect the high voltage battery. Strange but ok. So come back two hours later and it’s finally done and the service guy says yeah that was our first time doing that it’s a big process had to wear anti static suit and disconnect big battery. I just said oh ok and went on my way.

we live 100km from the dealership and 80km into my drive home and with 45% battery left the car displayed a turtle on and said limited power, stayed like that for a minute and went away.

so next day had it towed back to dealership, dealership now claims that they did NOT disconnect the high voltage battery and they have completely changed their story now that I explained what’s going on. So that’s a bit sketchy.

Few days later they call and said it was just software and they did some kind of software update to the car pertaining to hot weather battery performance, claimed it was all a big coincidence and that it’s all fixed now.

We knew it seemed fishy but we went with it, car was good for a few weeks maybe 500km or so no more turtle mode and now today on a highway drive went into turtle mode 20 times within 60km and with 30-40% battery left.

also when we were getting the car back I asked them for a print out of the battery state of health. They printed one out for me that said it’s at 100% state of health after 39,500 km. Isn’t that strange too?

anyways so yeah now we are at home will call dealership tomorrow morning again and send it back. Sucks that it worked absolutely perfect until the dealership laid their hands on it.

just thought maybe someone would have insight and wanted to share. Thanks for your time.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Keith Dowey

Keith Dowey New Member

Well considering the reduction gearbox oil change is done under the front of the car and on a hoist it should take 30minutes max, that story sounds like the biggest load of BS ever.
    What they were up to with the HV battery is anyone's guess, but obviously they stuffed up whatever they were doing, I have a 2022 Kona EV I certainly hope they leave the thing alone, they sound like a bunch of muppets.
    What area are you from?

4. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

In my Kona they changed the oil in the reducer and it took them no more than half an hour. After all, in the service materials of the manufacturer there is a procedure for changing the oil. You can also find it on youtube, I believe. Why bother with disconnecting the traction battery? This is indeed another case of BS in American Hyundai services.

5. Cki

Cki New Member

Yeah this is ridiculous. Anyone have advice on what the heck we should do? We are in Canada. This car was absolutely perfect before they touched it.

6. Keith Dowey

Keith Dowey New Member

First thing I would be doing is ringing Hyundai Canada's head office and explaining what happened.
    Then asking them if there is somewhere else nearby, that is more technically proficient with the Kona EV, as you have lost confidence in the competence of the dealership.
    If that fails give your consumer protection authority a call, if Canada has them, in Australia each State has a Government consumer protection department.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Cki

Cki New Member

thanks looking into the consumer protection right now. Doesn’t it also seem impossible that the battery state of health would be at 100% after 40,000 km?

9. Is this dealer "certified" to work on EVs? If they are, it sounds like they require a new service tech. (or at least a competent one).
    If it were me, I would take the vehicle to a reputable dealership with lots of EV service experience behind their belts, make sure the 12V battery is charged fully (using utility mode for a couple of hours) previous to bringing the car in. Tell them your story, it does sound like the "tech" made an attempt to log into/update your cars computer and failed miserably, it should be a simple operation to properly log in using their diagnostics tool and properly apply software update (without any requirement of an anti-static suit).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  10. Cki

Cki New Member

I would assume they are EV certified since they agreed to do the work?

11. First noting that the dealer has every right to apply whatever safety procedures are specified by their training, or that they think are necessary without judgement from us. Certainly no DIYer has ever disabled the traction battery before a gear oil change but that is our risk to quantify and accept.

It seems clear that they pulled the main fused disconnect behind a small cover in the floor pan under the rear seat. If it were me I would go in there and remove and reseat that part, checking that the blade contacts are not burned or damaged. I can't see what else it could be? Obviously this is at your own risk but it is designed to be safe to remove, just like an old fuse block on a residential electrical panel. But it's even safer because the pack is already isolated and disconnected internally when the car is "off". Otherwise ask them to do it, but you'll probably be billed for it unless it's visibly damaged.

I am concerned that the dealer changed their story but on the other hand being a warranty repair they aren't really obligated to provide details other than when it's ready to pick up.

Keith Dowey likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Cki

Cki New Member

Hey Kiwi thanks for the reply. They told me after that they were wrong and that it was not required to unhook it. It’s the fact that when I went home with it, their story was that it took so long because they had to unhook the traction battery. I wasn’t even worried about that until I had issues and told them and all of a sudden complete 180 and now they say oh no no no we didn’t touch anything. Also my driving stats were all reset to 0 so that would imply it was unhooked. Also Kiwi what do you make of the fact they say the battery is at 100% state of health after 18 months and 40,000km. Impossible, no?

Keith Dowey likes this.
  14. Pulling the main disconnect doesn't affect the driving stats because those are supported by the 12V battery. However, disconnecting the 12V battery would be done prior to removing the main disconnect. So, in the end we still don't know if they pulled the disconnect other than accepting their word. It should not be too hard to check that the disconnect is fully seated without removing it, not that I've done it myself. It has a lever on the top that when swung over to the locked position ensures that the part is fully seated. I'm just thinking that they may have partly opened it.

I do recall a short term turtle warning being reported once or twice in the past but don't know what the resolution was. A search might reveal that. It's certainly not a common occurrence and often people report things, it gets fixed and they never think to report back on the forums.

First, I would disconnect the 12V battery for 10 minutes to ensure standby systems booted cleanly. That can be done at the (-) battery connection. Replace it firmly and deliberately to minimise power glitches. If you have a voltmeter check the 12V battery voltage while its disconnected. It should be at least 12.5.

Has anyone checked traction battery cell balance? They should not differ by more than 0.02V at higher SoCs, at least 80%.

As for the SoH I don't think that's unusual. My original battery was still 100% after 4 years and 23,000 km, but I was careful with it. There have been a handful of recent reports around 94% but there's generally been an identifiable reason like living in a hot geographic location or frequent DC charging. I don't think the 100% is related to this problem.

upload_2023-6-6_9-26-43.png

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
    Keith Dowey and Cki like this.
  15. Cki

Cki New Member

Thanks again. As for the cell voltage that was included when they printed me out the battery state of health report. They were all normal but I don’t think the car was above 80% when they did it.

16. Ok, so the battery pack is likely fine.

17. I'm 100% and good balance at 30,000 kms. My dealership didn't isolate the battery while changing the gear oil for me.

18. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

If any of the battery cells were damaged (too low voltage), the SoC would probably not show 100%, but 0%. And the range is not, for example, 460km, but about 40km. Going into turtle mode must be for another reason. It is worth searching the web to find a list of parameters that cause the car to go into turtle mode, apart from the traction battery discharge (e.g. battery temperature?). I wonder if any diagnostic codes appear.

19. Cki

Cki New Member

Thanks. I haven’t been able to find anything with lots of searching. Car still with dealership.

Keith Dowey likes this.