Looking for volunteer EVs

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Jun 5, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Hi,

I finished refining a spreadsheet that with the EPA roll-down coefficients predicts the Wh/mi of my 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus. But I need to validate the spreadsheet against other model year EVs.

What I need are:
    • Year
    • Manufacturer
    • Model
    I'll generate a Wh/mi chart using the EPA coefficients as a function of mph. Then I'll need you to run benchmarks, 10 mile round trip, to report the Wh/mi.

The difference between your benchmark and the EPA developed, chart will let us know if it is working. Understand there may be tweaks to handle the difference in drivetrain efficiency but they should be fairly small, less than 10%.

If the chart works for you, I'll share the formulas and OpenSource spreadsheet.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

My area is too hilly to do accurate measurements.
    Looking at the EPA numbers for my car, they look about right, though.

I did my first trip in very light traffic yesterday. Numbers were about EPA. I do noticeably better with other vehicles moving my speed.

The numbers I posted in your other thread are from the EPA figures for a '23 Cooper SE with a guesstimated 95% energy conversion efficiency. EVs are pretty efficient at highway speeds.

4. bwilson4web

Perfect:
    upload_2023-6-5_7-29-22.png

If you can find a loop, hills and winds will be 'normalized.'

Bob Wilson

5. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

I used F= A + B*V + C*V^2
    For '23 Mini:
    A= 27.4
    B= 0.43
    C= 0.01495

6. bwilson4web

That is what I used:
    upload_2023-6-5_12-17-16.png
    BTW, I used traditional quadratic labels, a, b, and c, rather than the reversed, EPA ordering ... old school habits.

Send me an e-mail to [email protected] and I'll reply with the spreadsheet attached.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

Opps! Made a rooky mistake. I had used benchmark metrics instead of EPA. Give me some time to fix it.

Bob Wilson

9. bwilson4web

Here is my most recent version:
    upload_2023-6-6_1-18-58.png

Bob Wilson