Fuel Cell Plasmacluster Generator in PHEV?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ANovski, Jun 4, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ANovski

ANovski New Member

While doing come clarity googling on air quality I found they the Fuel Cell version comes equipped with a plasma cluster, which is a fancier ionizer as far as I’m aware. Sadly this was left out on our PHEV version of the Clarity.

I did manage to find that on the Fuel Cell version of the clarity the plasma cluster is installed just behind the radio display. And I did find the unit itself for sale for about 130$. Before I get brave enough to rip into my clarity for the sake of better air quality I came here to see if anyone else may know if this part is standalone or might require programming to the car.

The online chilton manuals I’ve looked at only list the part as install with no programming or calibration involved. It’s a singular connector with two mounting screws. I’m posting this to get opinions and perhaps someone has better access to information about this. Thanks for reading!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I'd guess that the ionizer is either on or off, so a simple on/off switch might manage that without worrying about any programming. The function of detecting noxious gases and cutting air flow from outside might pose a problem if you wanted that or if somehow the ionizer wouldn't function without full connection. I think that a couple of people have removed their head units, so there may be some instructions posted on this forum for that. It sounds like this was designed for tying into the upper air vents and probably ideally should be for effectiveness, but you may already be thinking about that.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
  4. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

FWIW... Ionizing/plasma does produce (usually small amounts of) O3. If you're sensitive to pollutants, it may not be an upgrade.

sabasc likes this.
  5. MarkClarity

MarkClarity Active Member

There was a youtube video posted yesterday with an deep dive into the electronics of a Kia version of an Ionizer.

sabasc likes this.
  6. ANovski

ANovski New Member

Yes, I was thinking that the noxious gas detection is probably a few more sensors and such that the PHEV just doesn’t have. I did find instruction on removing the head unit, I looked around my area to try and clarity in a junk yard I could take apart vs mine as I’m weary of getting that far into the car on just a hunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ANovski

ANovski New Member

I’m a fan of Clive and his video is actually what sparked my search into seeing if the clarity had any such module.

9. Why not just buy a plug in 12 volt ionizer and call it a day. There's plenty of room under the flying shifter bridge.

10. ANovski

ANovski New Member

I did think of this, but I’m hoping more research leads to the Honda ionizer being compatible. It would offer a much better quality over one in a 12v plug. If it doesn’t work out I’ll probably end up going that route.

11. What, no plasma cutter?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I saw "Fuel Cell Plasmacluster Generator" and I thought maybe someone had invented Mr Fusion, or something.

coutinpe and insightman like this.
  14. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Haha! Same here. One can just dream...

Domenick likes this.